More than 80 percent of Russians are worried about leg pain, and half of them complain of temporary or permanent muscle cramps. They pursue not only people of the older age category, but also young men and women.
In most patients, isolated cases of seizures associated with external factors or eating habits are observed. But some suffer from them constantly, which indicates the presence of serious problems with the body.
How does cramp happen
Every day we contract and stretch our muscles, this allows us to move our arms, legs, move our fingers and the rest of the body. But cramps occur regardless of our will, they are very sharp and are accompanied by unpleasant sensations, and often pain.
This happens as a result of excessive muscle tension, causing the brain to signal to relax it. Therefore, during a convulsion, we cannot move the spasm of the foot and feel the numbness of the limb. In order to get rid of this, it is necessary to warm the stiffened muscle with an intensive massage or medication.
Causes of seizures
As mentioned above, the problem occurs after a sharp and strong pressure on the muscle. There are several reasons for this to happen:
- Lack of potassium, magnesium and calcium in the body. These vitamins are responsible for the full-fledged work of the muscular system, and their deficiency weakens the tissues and does not allow them to recover quickly after stress.
- Dehydration. Another reason that many patients ignore. Although sometimes it is enough to fill the water balance in the body and the problem disappears by itself.
- Pregnancy. During this period, the body undergoes many changes in the hormonal background, the work of the organs, the cardiovascular system, and metabolic processes. There is an increased need for vitamins and minerals, which leads to their lack.
- Excessive muscle load. This happens with frequent training, a long stay on his feet, as well as a sharp change from a passive lifestyle to an active one.
- Violation of the kidneys and thyroid gland. Such diseases lead to edema, problems of assimilation of useful substances.
- Circulatory disorders and varicose veins. They provoke stagnation of fluid in the vessels of the legs, as well as inadequate nutrition of tissues with substances and oxygen.
- Nicotine and alcohol addiction. It leads to the depletion of muscle tissue and all organs of the body.
- Flatfoot. Improper gait creates additional pressure on the legs, which leads to constant spasms of the calf and hip muscles.
- Obesity. It includes a whole list of reasons: an increased load on the cardiovascular system, lower limbs, metabolic disorders, lack of vitamins and minerals.
- Sharp temperature drops. Often the legs are cramping if a person has plunged into cold water, stepped on ice or snow with a bare foot.
- Stress. The hidden cause of cramps is nervous tension. To get rid of the problem, a course of sedatives is needed.
The true reason is not easy to find, do not try to do it yourself. If you miss the opportunity to cure the disease at the initial stage, it will lead to complications and other symptoms.
What to do if there is a cramp
Muscle spasms can occur at any time, and it is almost impossible to predict them. Therefore, it is important to know what needs to be done to relieve pain and numbness and get back to business as soon as possible. There are several effective ways to relieve cramps:
- If your foot is cramped, then grab your fingers and pull them toward you, or step on the floor with your toe and push hard.
- Many patients who suffer from cramps always carry a needle and use it to eliminate pain. The exact place where you can prick, the doctor must show, usually this is where the sensitivity is lost.
- Often convulsions come during sleep and make the patient wake up. If this happens to you, slowly take a sitting position, lean your palms on the sore spot and begin to actively massage it until the numbness disappears. Then throw your feet on the wall or headboard to reduce blood pressure.
- If you have a leg cramped at work or in a public place, then squeeze the muscle firmly with your fingers and do not let go until the pain recedes.
- If you are standing or walking, and your leg is suddenly cramped, then stand with your face to the wall, move your sore leg back and lower your foot fully to the ground. Stand like this until the pain goes away.
A single case of cramps in the legs does not require a visit to the doctor, but if the spasms bother you often, do not give rest at night, interfere with work or play sports, then the help of a specialist is necessary.
You can avoid this problem if you start to monitor your health as early as possible, undergo examinations with doctors, and treat the detected diseases in time. There are also general rules that will help prevent cramps in the legs:
- Do not sit on monodiets, in particular protein. They lead to a deficiency of calcium and other beneficial substances. To lose weight, stick to proper nutrition and take vitamin complexes.
- Do not wear narrow shoes, as well as high-heeled shoes. A flat sole can also lead to cramps in the legs. The ideal heel height is 4-5 cm.
- Give up bad habits such as smoking and drinking. Do not eat a lot of sugar and caffeine.
- Include in your menu products containing vitamins D and B6. They help the body absorb calcium.
- Daily exercise, aimed at strengthening the muscles of the legs, and also massage in those places where there are convulsions.
- Before bed, arrange a 10-minute procedure for the legs in the form of contrasting trays, but make sure that the water is at a comfortable temperature. Sleep in socks from natural wool.
Do not forget about the drinking regime, which includes drinking at least 2 liters of water per day. Useful walks in the fresh air in sunny weather, contributing to the production of vitamin D.
The habit of doing daily simple exercises to maintain leg muscle tone will reduce the frequency of attacks or get rid of them altogether:
- As a warm-up, walk along the cool smooth floor for a few minutes.
- Sitting close your big toes, tightly pressed his feet to the floor. Then lift the inside of the foot so that the feet rest only on the outside. Stay in this position for 10 minutes.
- At the expense of "one" bend your toes, at the expense of "two" unbend. Perform 3 sets of 10 times.
- Place your feet parallel to each other. At the expense of "one" raise your heels, without lifting the socks, at the expense of "two" lower. Make 3 sets of 10 repetitions.
- Set a low bar in front of you (board, low bench) and lean on it with your toes. Move your legs for a few minutes from right to left and vice versa.
- Raise the feet above the floor and perform them in a circular motion for 1-2 minutes.
After completing the exercises, lie down on the bed and lift your legs to the wall. Lie down for a few minutes. Gymnastics will help to normalize blood circulation in the lower extremities and relieve troublesome swelling and pain.
How to get rid of leg cramps
Treatment involves, first of all, changes in lifestyle, dietary habits, increased activity and the use of vitamin complexes. If these measures do not help, then the doctor prescribes medication.
In addition, folk methods are also effective, which are used not only by ordinary people, but are also popular with athletes, dancers and people of other professions with an increased risk of seizures:
- Daily in the morning and in the evening rub fresh lemon juice in your feet and calves. When it is completely absorbed, put socks on your feet from natural material.
- If you have cramps, immediately rub the sore spot with mustard or mustard oil. This product has a warming effect that will quickly get rid of pain and numbness.
- If your leg is cramped, attach a compress soaked in vodka or table vinegar to your skin.
- Well helps from an attack wrapping with honey. Warm it up, spread it abundantly on the place where pain is felt, and roll it over with a towel or cotton cloth. Leave a compress for half an hour, and then wash it off.
- Daily for the night grease the feet with homemade ointment prepared from the yolk, 5 grams of turpentine and 10 ml of apple cider vinegar.
- Inside, take the broth of Potentilla Goose, prepared according to the following recipe: 40 grams of grass per 1 liter of boiling water. Drink one glass of medication four times a day.
- Mix 10 grams of thyme with 100 ml of vodka and leave for 14 days. Then drink 10-15 drops 3 times a day before meals for 2 weeks.
- Take a head of garlic, peel, chop and pour 200 ml of any oil. Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then take 5 ml three times a day.
Do not treat leg cramps on your own. Only an experienced doctor will determine the cause correctly and help get rid of it. Especially careful is to be pregnant women or people with other diseases. Be healthy and heal properly.