Many people want to increase the speed of reading to get real pleasure from studying books. The ability to memorize what is read is also important; this feature helps to improve memory. Experienced experts recommend the use of practical recommendations. They are aimed at improving memory and general information perception. Consider the important aspects in order, we select the main thing.
Create conditions for the perception of information
- To improve the speed of reading, create a comfortable environment. It is enough to select a cozy place, a soft sofa or a chair, moderately bright light. Reading should not be carried out in a noise, otherwise you will have to run through the material several times.
- In the absence of optimal conditions, attention is dissipated; you cannot remember what you read. For this reason, you do not need to take a book in public transport or do it when the TV is on.
- Go to read in a separate room, in which there are no other households. If possible, study books in nature under the chirping of birds and light breeze. It is important to immerse yourself in reading so that nothing distracts you.
- The most ideal time is considered to be early morning (from 07.00 to 11.00). After waking up, the head works well enough, most importantly, do not forget to have breakfast. If you can not read in the morning, spend the procedure in the afternoon.
- Many people prefer to pack with a book in the evenings. However, at this time the information is absorbed the worst. Also, you can not read after eating, be sure to wait 30-45 minutes. Otherwise, the body is engaged in the digestion of food, as a result of which he has no time to assimilate information.
Highlight the main thing
- To increase the concentration and better memorize information, study the material and select the most important of it. So you remember what you read without much effort, because the gist will be clear.
- We give a simple example that will help solve the problem. Proposal: "We went abroad with our parents on vacation to enjoy the azure sea." The meaning will be clear from the following keywords: "we-vacation-sea". It is not necessary to read everything, skip too much.
- In this way, you will reduce the time for processing information without losing the meaning. This technique is desirable to use when reading small texts, such as magazines, newspapers, posts in social networks.
- A regression means reading the same sentence / phrase many times in a row. In this case, it does not matter whether you do it intentionally or not. Such actions significantly increase the duration of reading, but do not add an understanding of what is happening.
- Regression appears when the meaning of the text is lost. It turns out that the person returns to the beginning of the sentence, or worse, the paragraph to find. To avoid such situations, you can use a pencil, bookmark or finger. Mark the place where you stopped earlier.
- Other people start to regress when they don’t understand the meaning the first time. You can get rid of this feature, but you have to be attentive. When you sit down to read, concentrate, only then proceed to work with the text.
- It is a mistake to assume that reading refers to a passive action. During the processing of information the brain is involved quite strongly, so the action requires concentration. As a result, you completely eliminate regression, thereby accelerating the speed of text processing and improving the perception of information.
- It is also worth determining how important the information you are reading is. If you understand the essence without re-reading, do not go back to the paragraph again and again. In this way, you only spend time.
Do not read by words
- The speed will slow down a lot if you read one word at a time. Replace the wrong technique with information processing with sentences or chunks (phrases).
- If you give an example, the situation will look like this: "car in the garage" or "car + in + garage". Less trained readers will act on the second principle, which will not be considered correct.
- The brain has a nice feature to fill in the gaps that it finds in a certain segment of the sentence. You can read the "car in the garage" as "car", "garage", the pretext is automatically substituted at the subconscious level.
- In this way, we again return to the selection of keys from a whole sentence or phrase. You will reduce the amount of information processed by 45-50%, which will significantly increase the speed of reading.
Do not speak the text with your lips
- Many people make a mistake when, in the process of reading, they scroll through the words in their heads or pronounce them with their lips. This feature is called subvocalization. That it affects the speed of reading.
- Of course, children are taught to receive and perceive information in a similar way, but speed is not important to them. In your case, subvocalization makes it difficult to perceive information faster, since you are not talking at lightning speed. This can be done much faster in the mind.
- If you get rid of pronouncing the words with your lips, the speed will increase by 2-3 times, which is an undeniable advantage. To exclude subvocalization, it is enough for a period of reading to take a mouth with a toothpick or candy. From now on, you need to read what is called consciousness, without mumbling.
Skip what you already know
- To increase the read and better master the information, you need to skip unnecessary sections. These include information that does not carry meaning. It's easy enough to determine which subsections are worth your attention.
- To perform manipulations, scan the text with your eyes, highlighting keywords (or lack thereof). You can also read the first sentence of all the paragraphs, clarifying the essence. Such a course will help to understand the content and determine whether the text of your time is worth it or not.
- The method is especially relevant in cases where you need to understand a separate chapter or passage from the book (if you cannot find the necessary information). This applies to memoirs, reference books, etc. Human nature can strongly oppose, but this is how you better understand the essence and increase the speed of reading.
- In addition, if the book does not please either or does not bear good, refuse to read it at all. For the most part, many works are written poorly, they do not reflect the concept. Read on 7% of each edition, and then choose for yourself the most suitable.
Read material before reading.
- To improve the speed of reading, study the material before its large-scale processing. To do this, glance over the first and last sentences of each paragraph. Pay attention to the words in bold or italics.
- Such actions will help you to understand if it makes sense to read the chapter completely or it can be deleted. Do not miss the headlines, as a rule, they characterize the essence.
- As a result of selective reading, you get a complete picture of all the components of the text. If necessary, you can go back to a particular paragraph and study it in more detail.
- The technique of preliminary study of the material makes it easier to perceive, memorize and read a previously unseen book. This way you can quickly process a complex article or scientific publication.
Train your memory
- If you experience difficulty remembering the information you read, develop memory. An excellent option is the study of a foreign language or words separately. You can study at home or enroll in the appropriate school. Also, the skill is useful in everyday life (work, travel, etc.).
- To practice your memory, start reading verses and then memorize them. To improve visual perception, regularly review complex photos or pictures, try to remember every detail from the image.
- Another way to improve memory is the correct placement of words. For example, ask household members to write 12 words in a different order. Read them, put aside, then try to reproduce the sequence on a separate sheet. Repeat the procedure 7 times per session 2 times a day. Gradually increase the number of words in the list, try to remember their sequence.
- Experienced minds of the world unanimously say that when reading it is extremely important to develop memory. If we talk about research, experts have found that after reading the book, a person remembers about 18-22% of its contents. The worse the conditions for the processing of the text, the more disastrous it affects the perception and assimilation.
- It is known that age is directly related to the ability of the brain to remember information. After leaving school and the institute, many people stop developing memory, but such actions are wrong. It is important to always train, otherwise you will not be able to fix even the smallest complex fragments.
- The genre of the book and the pleasure with which it is read influences the learning rate. If you like the plot and subject, the percentage of memorization automatically increases by 1.5-2 times. For this reason, it is important to choose the literature that is right for you.
Do not move your eyes
- If you recall the moment when a small child is taught to read, you can understand the following. Chad is told that it is necessary to carefully look at the word being read before proceeding to the next. In the case of children, this step is partially correct, but it already leads to failure in the future.
- It is known that the brain captures a greater amount of information through the eyes due to peripheral vision. As a result, you can cover more than one word, but 4-5, it all depends on the complexity of the text. The practice of “stopping” adversely affects the speed of reading.
- To get rid of a bad habit, relax your face and eye muscles before working with text. As a result, you can view most of the page. Try to read at least 4-5 words, only then move your eyes further.
It is quite difficult to learn how to quickly read and later memorize the information received. As practice shows, the memory captures only 20-30% of all the studied material. Highlight the main thing, exclude regression, do not pronounce the text with your lips, do not read by words. Skip those chapters that you already know. Study the paragraphs before proceeding with mass processing. Train your memory through exercise, do not move your eyes.