Have you once again taken a bath or bathed in an open pond? Water is a wonderful element, bathing is a pleasure for many. However, water procedures often end in such a nuisance as the accumulation of fluid in the ear. In professional language, it sounds like a swimmer's ear. So doctors mean building up fluid in the ear canal, when a person can not get rid of this water on their own. Often this is accompanied by a gurgling in the ear, a feeling of discomfort, deterioration of hearing acuity. If you do not take action in time, water can get into the middle ear and cause inflammation. In this article we will talk about what to do if water got into the ear, how to get rid of the water in the child’s ear, and also what to do to prevent the situation from recurring.
How to get rid of water in the ear
Usually, a person very clearly understands that water has entered his ear, he feels what kind of ear has suffered, and sometimes he even feels and hears this fluid. Often this happens after a complete immersion headlong into the water. How to respond to water in the ear? First you need to try to put the tip of the towel in the ear canal to absorb all the unnecessary moisture. If this does not help get rid of the water, use our following tips.
- The easiest and most known way to get rid of water in the ear is to jump on the sock of one foot. And on the one from which side the water is stuck. That is, if the water got into the right ear, you need to jump on the tip of the right foot, with your head tilted as far as possible to the right. With each jump while landing, try to podmahivat head to the maximum amplitude. But do not forget to keep your hands on the wall or the edge of the table, so as not to fall. With intensive movements, after 2-3 jumps, the water will be removed.
- You can remove the water without making special efforts for this. You need to lie on your back and slowly turn your head in the direction of the ear in which the water is stuck. The key word is slow. The physiology of the ear space is such that the water with smooth movements just slowly pour out - you will feel it.
- Do you know how the body removes sulfur from the ears? That's right, due to chewing and swallowing movements. Lie down on a horizontal plane, start chewing gum. You can imitate chewing movements or just drink water. Since the process is hampered by the fact that you are lying, you can drink through a straw - it is much more convenient.
- Inhale the air and try to exhale it with a strong jerk, closing your mouth and nose. The air will create pressure on the membrane, it will arch and push some of the water out of the ear canal. This technique is often used on an airplane to get rid of the feeling of ear congestion.
- Press your palm tightly to your ear so that there is a vacuum. Then abruptly take away the palm from the head. Thinned air will help you push water out of your ear.
- Put a few drops of boric alcohol in your ear. It will not only disinfect the ear canal (this is relevant if water has entered the ear from the reservoir), but also helps to get rid of moisture. The fact is that boric alcohol evaporates very quickly. It will mix with ordinary water and just evaporate into the air.
- To get rid of water in the ear, you can use the same water. Pour water into the ear with a strong jet using a pear or syringe. This water will help get rid of the airlock, which often prevents the removal of excess fluid.
These simple tips will help you get rid of water that has got into your ear through carelessness. But what to do when the problem happened to the baby?
What to do if a child suffers from water in the ear
If the baby already knows how to jump on one leg, you can explain to him what movements his head should perform in order for the water to go out. But what to do if during bathing the water got into the baby's ear? And how to understand that something was wrong with the baby? If the crumbs in the ear water is stuck, he will show it with his whims, tearfulness, anxiety. Children often bring pens to their ears, they may hear worse because of this. If these symptoms began after water treatments, it can be assumed that the water in the ears is to blame.
It is necessary to make a turundum out of cotton wool - twist a thin flagellum and carefully stick one end into the ear of the baby. Never use solid objects, such as a cotton swab. It can damage the delicate parts of the inner ear of the child or compress the sulfur closer to the ear membrane, which prevents its natural release. And the flagellum safely absorbs excess moisture, saving the baby’s ears from the feeling of fullness.
If this does not help, just try to feed the baby in a lying position - first on one and then on the second side. Swallowing movements will help expel water in a natural way.
How to protect your ears from water ingress
Prevention measures are the main protection against water entering the ears. Be sure to wear swimming caps in the pool and open water, especially if you like to dive and dive with the head. Professional swimmers are recommended to wear special swimming plugs that prevent water from entering the ear cavity. If your child does not like to wear earplugs or a swimming cap, you can simply lubricate the ear canal before swimming with a greasy cream. This, of course, does not completely protect the ear from water, but will reduce the risk of fluid entering the ear canal, since fat tends to repel water molecules.
Water in the ear is not just discomfort. If, for example, to go outside in the winter after swimming in the pool, water can cause otitis. Be sure to clean the child's ears after water procedures, because soaked sulfur can bring pain, discomfort, pressure in the ears, because it swells in a wet environment and presses on the membrane. If you are unable to get rid of the water in your ear by yourself, be sure to visit a otolaryngologist. It will help you solve the problem in seconds. Take care of your ears and clean them of water in a timely manner.