Pediculosis, or lice infestation, has plagued humanity since time immemorial. Since Aristotle, people have tried to invent various effective ways of dealing with these parasites. Not all of them turned out to be not only effective, but also led to terrible consequences. How to protect yourself from lice infestation? What to do if it already happened?
Causes of lice
Hygienic people are more protected from lice infection. However, there is no guarantee that a clean person will not be a victim of parasites. Lice can be sudden guests if:
- Try on a hat after an infected person or use someone else's comb or barrettes;
- Have long thick hair, on which your louse may end up after a trip in public transport;
- Wipe with towels with parasites living on them, sleep on such linen. Visiting saunas, saunas, swimming pools, traveling in trains can present an unpleasant surprise;
- Have sexual intercourse with a partner affected by pubic lice.
The fact of the appearance of lice can not be silent. Even if in modern society, pediculosis is recognized as a shameful phenomenon. After all, if this is not done, the whole environment of the patient will be infected.
Signs and symptoms of lice
Severe itching and the manifestations listed below may indicate an "uninvited guest":
- an itchy neck, the ear region, the entire scalp;
- ploshchitsy manifest themselves discomfort in the pubic area;
- body lice cause the body to come into contact with it;
- the presence of nits on the hair or clothing - yellowish-white lice eggs;
- traces of parasite bites in the form of small red dots;
- deterioration of hair and skin.
Types of lice
The human body is attractive for 3 types of these parasites:
- Head lice settle on the scalp. Insects grayish-white in size reach about 3 mm.
- Squabs (pubic) about 2 mm long appear on the pubic hair. During reproduction, they can move to armpits, chest, mustache, beard, eyelashes.
- Body lice are found in the folds of bedding or clothing. They are the largest representatives of the species and reach 5 mm. The parts of the body that most often come into contact with clothing and bedding (neck, shoulder blades, armpits, lower back) are prone to bites.
Pharmaceutical drugs against lice
In order to cause the death of parasites, successfully used chemicals. Among them are traditional insecticides and new developments of pharmacists in the form of pediculicides.
Developed on the basis of permethrin, these drugs can paralyze the nervous system of parasites. Their disadvantage is a decrease in the effectiveness of action due to the resistance of chemicals to insects produced by insects. Insecticides should be used with caution. An overdose of funds can cause intoxication of the patient, especially when it comes to the child.
Such funds are usually applied to the hair for 15-20 minutes and carefully washed off. Treatment of the head should be repeated after 10 days.
Mineral oils (clearol and isopar) have an excellent effect in the fight against lice. The death of insects occurs due to their impaired respiration and water metabolism. It does not have to talk about the toxicity of drugs.
The mask put on strands is kept for about 20 minutes. Hair combed with a rare comb and washed with a solution of vinegar, better than apple.
Mercury or boric ointment
An effective means of getting rid of lice at home, especially effective against ploshchits (pubic parasites) and their eggs. On the cleaned and washed with soap, the area of contamination is applied means. Mercury ointment is more toxic than boric, but it copes with the problem more successfully.
A preparation diluted in warm water with a cotton swab is applied to the hair and scalp. Cover with plastic bag, after half an hour, wash off with a solution of table vinegar.
2 drops sold in any pharmacy drug is dissolved in a small amount of shampoo. It is recommended to withstand the mask on the hair for about an hour. After combing the strands with a frequent comb, rinse the head. Rinse hair with a solution with 2 drops of oil and 3 tbsp. vinegar to 1 liter of water.
How to get rid of lice folk remedies
The most harmless ways of treating pediculosis are folk recipes. Some of them are so accessible and simple that they allow you to get the desired result with the help of ordinary products from the refrigerator or simple home remedies.
- Kerosene. One of the most popular old ways to get rid of lice. Smeared with hair wrapped in a towel. After 2 hours, the strands are carefully washed and combed with a frequent comb.
- Cranberry juice. Especially good for killing nits. When rubbing the product into the scalp for a week, we can expect the eggs to stick off their hair.
- Vinegar. Significantly reduces the activity of parasites. 2 tbsp. vinegar dissolved in 1 tbsp. water. After thorough wetting, the strands are combed out.
- Mint. 2 tbsp. herbs are poured with pomegranate juice (1 tbsp.) and boiled for about 10 minutes. The resulting solution is rubbed into the scalp.
- Black cumin. Cumin seeds, carefully crushed, dissolved in apple cider vinegar. After straining, rubbed into strands and roots. After the procedure, it is important to stand in direct sunlight for about 20 minutes and do not wash off the head for 5 hours. For efficiency, manipulation should be daily for a week.
- Burdock or nines. The stems of the plant along with the leaves is poured boiling water. After infusing for 30 minutes and filtering the resulting broth, the roots and hair are washed.
- Mask of mayonnaise. The product applied to the hair contributes to the disturbance of insect respiration and their death. Holding such a mask all night under a plastic bag, you can hope to get rid of lice. It should at the same time try to clean thoroughly all nits.
- Hair spray. A whole bottle of hairspray is sprayed onto the washed head. This is done in a well ventilated area or outdoors. Wrapped the head with a plastic bag, leave the tool overnight. After washing the varnish carefully combed the remaining eggs on the strands.
- Hair dye. Perfectly cope with the problem of head lice staining strands. It's all about the hydrogen peroxide, which is part of them.
- Anti-flea shampoos. Being a good insecticide, help get rid of lice.
- Compress of vodka. Sprayed vodka spray rubbed into the hair roots. The head covered with polyethylene and wrapped in a towel is washed thoroughly after half an hour. Mechanical treatment of hair is required.
- Tar and Dustov soap. Strands lather and stand under the solution for about half an hour. Thoroughly washed with a solution of apple vinegar.
- Hair straightener. Exposure to extremely high temperatures will kill the lice and not leave the nits a chance for survival. The iron for hair is smoothed every thin strand. The procedure must be very scrupulous. After it is important to comb out the remains of nits.
People who are on duty in places of special concentrations of people, you must first protect yourself from pediculosis. The risk group includes:
- kindergartens and schools;
- boarding schools;
- helpers for strollers;
- humanitarian missions;
- field camps.
Prevention of pediculosis includes:
- Restriction of contacts with asocial elements with pronounced signs of lice.
- Avoiding spontaneous sexual intercourse will protect against infection with pubic lice.
- Wearing only their hats, the use of personal combs.
- Orderly change of bed linen washed in hot water.
- Examination of the hairy areas of the body.
- Hair treatment with special antiparasitic shampoos.
- Combing hair with a special comb with metal teeth.
- Braiding braids, wearing kerchiefs.
- Use tar soap when shampooing.
- Scaring lice with lavender tincture, decoction of tansy, hellebore water, which lubricates the ear and hairy parts.
The most reliable prophylactic quick way to eliminate lice is getting rid of hair. Anyone who is willing to take such radical measures will cope with the problem much easier.
Prevention of secondary infection with lice includes:
- washing things at a temperature not lower than 60 degrees;
- keeping non-washable items for about 3 days in a tightly sealed plastic bag;
- examination of the hair of all family members and all those in contact with the object of infection.
A patient can be considered recovered if there are no nits and lice in the hair, and bite marks disappear on the skin.
In modern society, there is a perception that only antisocial elements are infected with lice and people with low incomes. In fact, all those in a public place are at risk of getting head lice. Thanks to proven recipes for centuries, you can get rid of annoying parasites. It is only important to be sure that they will not cause any harm to the patient's health.