Not all dogs love water. For this reason, many owners are faced with a problem, resting near a pond with their four-legged friend. To relieve the animal from stress, it is necessary to gradually instill in him a desire to swim.
Schooling a dog to water procedures
Before teaching a dog to water, you should master several simple commands that will help your pet cope with fear.
Method number 1. For company
- Teaching a pet to teams that will help him love water requires some effort.
- The main role in this aspect is played by the fact that the dog is tied to the owner and constantly wants to be near him. Introduce your pet with water at a small depth.
- Come into the lake and joyfully call the dog behind you. Thus, without fear of depth, the four-legged friend will splash with you in the water.
Method number 2. Team "Aport!"
- Some dogs swim well, but for some reason they dislike water. If your pet is related to this type of animal, use a little trick.
- Throw a stick into the water, give the order "Aport!". Similarly, the command "Nearby!" Works. Go swimming, calling the pet with you. It is important to bear in mind that four-legged friends swim faster than humans.
- It may be easier for a dog to roll circles around you than to swim at the same speed. Regardless of the team, stay tuned for your pet. His breathing should be even and his gaze should be calm.
Method number 3. Swimming vest
- When swimming, dogs at the level of instinct row their paws as they would walk on the ground. Based on this aspect, many owners believe that their pets simply must be able to swim.
- Unfortunately, the situation is different. There are breeds of dogs that swim poorly or can drown at all. These include animals with a large body and small legs.
- This does not mean that they do not want to frolic in the shallow water. It is not necessary to drag the pet to a depth where it will be completely uncomfortable.
- If the owner intends to send the pet away from the shore, a swimming vest for dogs was created especially for this.
- Having picked up the suitable size, the four-legged will not feel discomfort and fear of depth.
Gradual dog swimming training
- Give up the obsession to throw the dog to the depth and expect it to float. Perhaps the pet will do so, but the stress they receive will be stored in memory for the rest of their lives.
- In the future, the dog will start to be afraid of water in panic, even when you want to bathe it in the bathroom. Acquired emotional trauma will forever change the mental background of the animal.
- Teach your pet to the water gradually, starting with shallow water. It is desirable that the place was not populous, quiet, calm. Take a walk along the shore so that your pet will become comfortable.
- Go into the water ankle-deep, call your pet a gentle voice. If this method is ineffective, use your favorite toy or dog treat.
- If a four-legged friend does not want to immediately go into the water, break the training for a few days. First of all, teach your dog to shallow water, give him the opportunity to get used to such depth.
- Try to play with your pet. Be patient, the pet should get used to the water without experiencing negative emotions. In the end, you get a self-confident pet, accompanying you during the swim.
- A similar style of swimming dogs in the common people is called "candle". There are often cases when an animal is not afraid of water at all, but does not know how to swim.
- At the depth of the pet is able to reach to the bottom with its hind legs, and the front grabet, forming a lot of spray around it. Without touching the bottom, the dog continues to swim upright, like a candle.
- In this case, the pet may lose its orientation and panic. First, calm the dog in the water. Enter the lake with it at a sufficient depth, slightly hold the animal in the abdomen.
- Let your pet "cut" circles around you, sometimes letting go of your hand. Soon the pet will get used to it and will be able to independently move it back and forth next to you. Swimming is a useful activity for both the owner and the dog.
- Performing heats, musculature develops without harm to the joints. Immunity, ligaments, heart is strengthened. When playing in the water, do not throw the toy for the dog too far so that you can save the animal if it turns out to be fluttering and panicking.
First Aid for Dogs
- In case a trouble has happened to the dog and she has been under water for some time, do not panic. Put the pet in such a way that the croup is raised and the chest is lying on the ground. In this position of the lungs out all the liquid.
- Remove foreign objects from the mouth. If the dog is not breathing, begin to conduct artificial respiration. To begin with, lay the pet on its side so that the body is slightly above the head.
- Sharp weak movements press on the chest of the animal with two palms folded crosswise (as is the first aid to a person). Spend 6-7 repetitions, then tightly squeeze the animal's mouth, blow air through the nostrils several times.
- Repeat the exercises one by one (pressing-blowing) until the pet shows signs of life. As soon as the dog wakes up, immediately send it to the veterinary clinic.
- Do not try to throw the puppy into the water. Otherwise, you will get a dog that will always be afraid of water. Train your pet to swim gradually. Play in shallow water, walk along the shore.
- In summertime, allow yourself a prank to run around with a dog in the rain. In no case do not scold the pet, if it flops in a puddle. Raise a pet like a small child. Such positive emotions should be stored in the dog's memory.
- When the pet learns to swim, do not leave it unattended, constantly look after the dog and do not lose sight. Swimming is good for physical fitness, but it also drains a lot. Make sure that the pet was able to come back after the swim and not overcool.
- Let the dog rest and recover. Pay special attention to puppies, elderly individuals and breeds with a disproportionate body.
- Do not allow swimming in the midst of heat. Ensure that bathing takes place before meals. It is also not necessary to let the dog into the water after an intense run, it can get sick.
- If you are in a hot time on the reservoir, make sure that the pet is in the shade. Do not try to throw a stick with the team "aport!" into the river over. The dog will not cope with the flow, which will lead to serious consequences.
Adhere to simple recommendations on how to teach a dog to swim, and the result will not keep you waiting. Train your pet to water properly, preferably from puppyhood. Do not listen to people who say that the dog and so float. Follow the step by step instructions. Do not exhaust the animal to exhaustion.