The distinctive characteristic of the olive runner is the speed of movement. This species of reptiles is quite active and at the same time aggressive. During the approach, the snake does not emit a hiss, it very quietly sneaks up and attacks. The danger from the skid is not too high. On the surface of the snake are shown in early spring, they show activity when the sun does not fry too much. Let's look at all that is characteristic of these individuals.
- By its external features, this representative of the family can not be called large. The maximum fixed length is 1 meter. But, as a rule, there are individuals 85 cm long on average. Males are thinner and more beautiful than females. Last compacted and shorter.
- Head rounded in front. The shield between the jaws is poorly visible and slightly wedged between the sinuses. Shields at the back are separated, creating a pattern of small scales. Their characteristic difference from the shields in the front part is the elongated format.
- In the marginal parts, about 230 small plates are focused, they are located along the rib sections and form a small edging of the small size in the belly area. Scuteum anal doubles, the tailtail consists of 130 particles.
- As for the general coloring of the hull, in the upper part of the snake it is pigmented with olive-gray with brownish or brownish patches. The neck and the front section of the body are dark green, these spots have a border that is colored black. Present and yellowish ringlets.
- In the area of the neck can be observed offset color. Markings intertwine with each other, forming a whole and moving away according to dimensional features. The head in the upper section has no patterns, but some individuals have specks. The abdominal part is yellowish, of one tone, may be whitish or yellow-green. The irises of the eyes are yellow with a golden sheen.
- These representatives of the breed group are not ranked as the rarest species. To a greater extent they are common in the Balkan Peninsula. There are individuals in Asia Minor, Ingushetia, Chechnya, Abkhazia, Azerbaijan. There is a population of individuals in Turkmenistan, but their numbers have not been studied.
- Reptiles of this type prefer rocky, semi-desert terrain. May occur in the steppe lanes, as well as on the slopes with small pebbles and in mountainous terrain. Juniper and oak seduce them, therefore they find members of the family in the respective zones. Some individuals are found in zones located at an altitude of 2.2 km. from sea level. Runners are in the gardens, often scare gardeners with their appearance.
- An interesting fact is that the specimens in question remain one of the fastest reptiles that inhabit the territory of the Russian Federation. When such snakes move in natural conditions, you cannot physically keep track of them.
- Snakes move very quickly and at the same time smoothly. They slide among plants and stones. Individuals simply dissolve in the eyes when moving. It is impossible to keep track of them. It is interesting that such reptiles have excellent vision.
- It is because of this natural feature that they look for and look out for prey. The snake necessarily begins to explore the terrain before the hunt. Sometimes an individual rises to look around. The snake bends to lift the front of the body.
- As soon as the represented individual notices the potential victim, the snake creeps silently and swiftly towards the target. When there is a small distance, the snake immediately strikes its prey. Due to its speed, the snake catches up with even the running victim.
- The basis of the diet of such reptiles are mainly lizards. If the victims are small, the snake immediately swallows them whole. As for larger targets, the snake kills them or strangles them. In addition, these individuals feed on grasshoppers.
- During the mating season and at the time of mating, the male grabs the female with its jaws and does its job. It should be noted that females of the considered species do not possess high fecundity.
- In most cases, these snakes bring no more than 5 highly elongated eggs. As for the young, then they are born quite large. In length, they reach up to 30 cm.
Often considered individuals are kept in captivity. They are slightly finicky, if you follow some rules. Purchase a horizontal terrarium for at least 100 liters. Coconut chips are best used as a substrate. There should also be snags and a house. Do not forget about lighting and heating.