When we come to the doctor’s office and say: “I have a sore throat”, as a rule, there should be a whole series of questions about whether there is a fever, whether there are long-term symptoms that bother you. Only in this way can a doctor make a complete picture of the disease and make a diagnosis.
If you do not treat the throat correctly, but only to relieve pain, you can start such terrible diseases as pneumonia, asthma and others. If your plans do not include being in a hospital, then you are being treated correctly.
Why does a sore throat
When our throat begins to ache, we immediately think that we have caught a cold and go to the pharmacy for antiviral and antipyretic drugs. But often they are useless, because a symptom can manifest itself for various reasons:
- viral diseases (ARI, ARVI, influenza, measles, smallpox);
- bacterial infections (sore throat, scarlet fever, diphtheria);
- fungal lesions (candidiasis, mycosis);
- allergic reactions;
- polluted air;
- the presence of a tumor;
- the presence of a foreign body;
- stomach diseases (reflux, gastritis, ulcers, cholecystitis);
It is sometimes easy to recognize the true cause, but sometimes it takes years. Therefore, if the pain does not pass for quite a long time, it is worth checking the whole body.
Pain without temperature
If you feel unpleasant sensations, but the temperature does not rise, this indicates the beginning of one of the following diseases:
If you do not feel weakness, loss of appetite, decreased performance, then the foreign body, for example, fish bone, may be the cause of the pain. In addition, often unpleasant sensations arise from overstretching the muscles of the larynx. This happens with a long public appearance. Also, the throat can ache after taking a hot meal or swallowing solid, unprepared foods.
The treatment in this case will be as follows:
- Rinse thrice daily. You can make a decoction of chamomile, saline, mix a drop of iodine or a teaspoon of salt in water.
- Steam inhalation with the addition of chamomile, calendula or sage tea will help soothe a sore throat.
- Remove the discomfort lollipops sold in a pharmacy. They contain cooling components that will relieve this symptom for a while. But it is worth remembering that candy does not eliminate the very cause.
- Sprays have the same properties, but they can be used after consulting a doctor.
Colds can be cured if you sweat well. To do this, before going to bed, make a hot foot bath, then put on warm wool clothes and go to bed.
Pain and temperature
If inflammation develops against the background of a seasonal cold, it contributes to an increase in temperature. So the body warns about the presence of pathogenic viruses, bacteria and other sources of infection.
If drowsiness, a sharp deterioration in health, the appearance of a cold, then most likely the infection is bacterial in nature, is added to these symptoms. When the body is infected with a virus, the disease is sluggish, headaches, body aches begin. If the throat is swollen, the inflammatory process has reached the tonsils.
You should visit a doctor as soon as possible, and if the condition worsens too quickly, call an ambulance. So you will save yourself from severe ailments and the acquisition of chronic diseases.
Principles of home treatment:
- To bring down the temperature should be such drugs as ibuprofen and paracetamol, you can take them every 6-8 hours.
- You need to drink plenty of water, allowed tea with lemon and honey, homemade unsweetened compote or juice.
- Refrain from smoking and do not drink alcohol.
Since the source of the disease can only be determined by the doctor after receiving the patient's tests, you should not prescribe antibiotics and other medication drugs yourself. You can use spray or lozenges to relieve pain. Look for phenol, benzocaine, diklonin in their composition.
Severe sore throat
Sometimes the pain becomes unbearable, and there is no strength to wait for the end of treatment. Proven popular methods will come to the rescue, which will relieve inflammation, reduce sensitivity, and clear the throat:
- At bedtime, drink a glass of cooled boiled milk with a teaspoon of natural honey, the same amount of butter and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Prepare black tea, cool it so that it becomes warm, add a slice of lemon and drink slowly.
- Kombucha is able to clear the airways and relieve pain if you gargle them twice a day.
- Mix in equal proportions grated horseradish with garlic and honey. Keep the product in the refrigerator and eat 1 teaspoon before breakfast, lunch and dinner. Do not forget to mix the ingredients before each intake.
- Take 0.5 liters of water and add 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Moisten a towel in the solution, wrap the throat and tie a woolen scarf for several hours.
The combination of traditional methods with medicines prescribed by a doctor give a quick and effective result.
Sore throat during pregnancy
The delicate situation makes future mothers revise the principles of treatment of the throat. After all, now the safety and health of the child comes first. Therefore, before starting the procedure or taking any medications, you need to consult an obstetrician-gynecologist and a therapist.
Temperature, decrease in the general tone and dizziness is a reason to receive inpatient treatment. But if the future mom does not bother the other symptoms, then it can be treated with topical preparations and immunity enhancing agents.
Even if a pregnant woman feels well, in order to overcome the disease, she needs to rest more, postpone household chores, and also walk daily in the fresh air. During walks, you need to air the apartment, and then humidify the air in the rooms.
What can be treated throat during pregnancy:
- Rinse with salt or soda. To make a solution, take 1 teaspoon and 300 ml of water.
- Inhalation with decoction of chamomile or sage. It is useful to add to the water essential oils of eucalyptus, tea tree, lemon.
- Drinking plenty of fluids will help cleanse the body of viruses. Tea with honey or a slice of lemon, fruit drinks and fruit drinks will boost immunity.
- From the moment you registered, the doctor had to recommend a vitamin complex for pregnant women. If you have not started taking them, then you should definitely do this during your illness.
In the autumn and winter season, take care of yourself from infections: dress warmer, do not go to public places during epidemics, drink vitamins and strengthen your immune system, since even minor diseases can affect pregnancy.
Sore throat in a child
Children are most susceptible to diseases of the respiratory tract, as their immune system is not yet fully formed, and infections often lurk in kindergartens and schools. If the baby has a sore throat, the main thing is to start treatment in a timely manner. In children, inflammation quickly spreads to nearby organs, and then to the entire body.
How to treat a child's throat:
- provide your child a calm atmosphere and bed rest;
- Do not force him to eat, especially heavy foods such as meat, eggs, cereals;
- let the child drink more water, compote, kefir;
- fruits rich in vitamin C will help strengthen the immune system.
Daily do wet cleaning in the child’s room, and also air it 3 times a day. If the pain is accompanied by fever, give the baby warm tea with lemon or raspberry and wrap it up so that it sweats.
Explain to the child how to gargle properly, and make sure that he spits out the water and not swallowed it.
If you have a cough, rub the baby's back in the area of the lungs and heels with turpentine ointment, and wear cotton socks for the night, and woolen ones with mustard powder on top.
Sore throat is the first symptom that can be a sign of many diseases. If you turn to the therapist in time and do not prescribe medication on your own, you can speed up recovery and rather get rid of the disturbing sensations.