Newfoundland refers to large dogs. In another way it is called "diver". This is one of the most family dogs. Strength, power, intelligence and kindness - all these qualities are present in it in full. The dog belongs to the rescuers, is a fearless assistant and loyal friend. Such dogs have not only excellent working qualities, but also a wonderful character, which simply can not be called anything other than gold.
The breed of this dog belongs to the ancient representatives. Where it came from, nobody knows for sure. But the fact that they first appeared on the island of Newfoundland is known for certain. It is believed that these giants were tamed by local Indians. Modern experts on this subject express very different opinions. In this case, they attribute the merit of origin to various dogs.
There is a legend according to which once God admired the world, which he himself created. His gaze fell on one island, which was cut by constant storms. On it, he saw a tribe of fishermen, whose work was very hard. Trying to help them somehow, he began to create a new creature. From the bear, he took powerful bones and thick skin. Smoothness passed to him from the seal. Now this animal could swim on the waves. As a result of painstaking work, a wonderful creation appeared in front of him, designed to help people. In his chest he breathed the heart of a dog. So happened Newfoundland.
The first description of the dog received in the 17th century. In the 18th century, they appeared in Europe. In Soviet times, there was a kennel "Red Star", which belonged to the defense department, and was engaged in the breeding of these dogs. It was in our country that they began to call him a diver.
When externally, representatives of this breed can be given the following description:
- The dog has a deep, strong and compact body. The dog is distinguished by its strength and muscular appearance. The body is marked by a straight and durable line of the back.
- The animal has a massive head. There is a good development of the occiput.
- The location of a square, deep, and short muzzle is marked on the head. Characterized by the complete absence of folds. There are well-marked lips with pronounced outlines.
- The mouth is soft in nature, which is tightly closed by the lips.
- On the broad nose are well developed nostrils. The color of the nose is comparable to the color of the dog.
- Eyes are small in size with a deep landing. On the head, eyes are widely spaced, the red conjunctiva is absent. The color of the eyes with a dark brown or light brown shade.
- Ears of small size and triangular shape. At the end have a rounding.
- The animal has a strong and powerful neck, which merges with the shoulders. Thanks to a neck noble landing of the head is provided.
- Torso with a wide back and straight surface.
- The dog has a short muscular loin.
- The animal is characterized by a broad croup with a slope of approximately 30 degrees.
- The dog is distinguished by the presence of a round, low and wide chest. The ribs have a curved character.
- The muscles are well developed on the shoulders. They have a rearward direction and are located relative to the horizontal line at an angle of 45 degrees.
- There is a close fit of the elbows to the body with a low location.
- On large paws, which are quite comparable with the body, the location of rounded, strong fingers, with their wide arrangement, is marked. Like all water dogs, the Newfoundland has well-developed membranes between the fingers. The color of the claws with a black or light shade.
- There is a direct parallel arrangement of the forelimbs.
- The animal has strong, strong, well-closed hind legs.
- The dog has a free gait with swinging movements.
- When the dog swims, it uses the tail as a helm. When the dog is moving or excited, it takes a strained position.
- Wool has water repellency. She is thick and smooth. There is a double undercoat.
The dog is distinguished by tenderness. It seems that the dog loves everything and everyone that surrounds it. This is a reliable friend who will not miss the opportunity to bring pleasure to the owner. He is a great swimmer with a strong and powerful body. Pet has an extremely good heart. Ability to rescue all who drown, laid in him by nature itself. At five plus, it performs guard functions and is always ready to learn something new. At a high level amenable to training.
Newfoundland just loves children, he plays with them, frolics. He can play the role of an excellent nanny. At the same time it is characterized by tenderness and reliability. It is impossible for a long time without supervision to leave a large pet alone with small children. It is not recommended to start a dog for those who have very small children in the family.
Little kids can harm such a dog. The adolescence of the dog has a rather fragile skeleton. If a child carelessly takes it by the paws, dislocation may occur.
Note! Often children take a dog for a small horse and ride it. You can not do this, because you can damage the spine.
If there are other animals in the family, then such a dog will get along with them in no time. With the acquisition of such a dog, the owner additionally gets a reliable friend. A distinctive feature of the character of Newfies is softness and affection.
Some naively believe that such a dog is suitable for absolutely everyone. This is neither. A small child or an elderly person is not able to manage a pet of this breed. When a dog is in adolescence, it simply does not fully realize how strong it is. It may happen that she simply drags the child or the old man with all the ensuing consequences. When the animal is already in adulthood, it already understands the sense of tempo and is attentive to the person who is walking with it.
Care content and activities
When considering this breed in general, the only drawback is that such dogs are very large in size and have a large mass. It is not recommended to get such dogs to owners of small apartments. Given the large size of the dog, the pet still needs space. Here are country houses are the perfect place to keep such dogs.
The dog's body does not require a lot of movements. Most of the time, they like to just lie down quietly. But, if the pet has a desire to run and frolic, it should not be prevented. The place where the dog will rest should exclude direct sunlight. This dog does not tolerate. There must be permanent free access to water. Well in the conditions of a site of a country house to arrange an improvised mini-pool next to the dog. The dog will periodically submerge and cool down.
When feeding, you can use dry food and natural products. For the correct choice of diet is better to consult a veterinarian. Feeding is carried out twice a day. It is better to do this in the morning and in the evening. In adolescence, a dog consumes slightly more food than an adult. She needs 0.7-0.8 kg of meat per day. A growing body requires more protein. Adult dogs are given 0.6 kg of meat and 300 g of rice per day.
Representatives of this breed do not sweat because they cool themselves through breathing. For this reason, dogs often breathe, sticking their tongues out. A good prevention of heat stroke is a bath with water, which was discussed above.
If the pet is kept at home, then it is given a spacious place with a warm bedding. For this purpose, the old carpet is quite suitable. Clean water should be always available, but care should be taken to ensure that the pet does not get up with its paw in a bowl of water. In no case can not put a dog on a chain. It is necessary to realize that the pet is a living creature, and not a beautiful decoration for the garden plot. You must constantly communicate with the dog. On the part of the owner should show tenderness and affection.
Newf, living in rural areas, will be very pleased. If his habitat is associated with the close presence of the sea, it will be the limit of his desires. Near the water, he feels better than anywhere else. Once he only sees the water, the unwieldy bear in an instant turns into a sensitive guard. If someone suffers a disaster on the water, he, without hesitation, will rush to save him. This feature is inherent in the dog by nature itself. But you should never throw pet input by force. Everything can end with the fact that he will forever lose the desire to swim.
Learning to swim your pet should be carefully and gradually. As an example, it is good to show him swimming dogs. He himself will understand what it is. If such a situation is not foreseen, the owner himself can enter the water and call him to him. Training should be carried out in a game form, using a ball or some other toy. The result may not come immediately. The main thing in this business - patience and perseverance.
Care activities require some effort. Wool should usually be combed every three days. When an animal sheds, it is done somewhat more often. At the same time the metal hairbrush is used. Required to ensure that the pet always had a neat appearance. Bathing is done as needed, if the animal gets very dirty. After a meal, the dog’s face should be cleaned with a cloth. Monthly animal claws cut off.
Requires regular eye examinations. In order to prevent them, you can wipe them with a napkin moistened with a weak solution of tea leaves. Excess sulfur should be regularly removed from the ears. Requires regular inspection of the animal for the presence of ticks and fleas. It is necessary to do this and every time after walking with the dog through the forest. When ticks and fleas are detected, the animal should be treated. What is better to use for these purposes means prompt veterinarian.
Ticks can be carriers of piroplasmosis dangerous for the dog. In some cases, it can even lead to death. The disease is manifested by the following symptoms:
- The animal becomes sluggish in its behavior.
- Refuses food and water.
- The temperature can rise to 41 degrees.
The sooner a bite is followed by an appeal to a veterinarian, the greater the chances of recovery.
When conducting classes with a dog, it is always necessary to remember about the natural gift to the rescue of people drowning in water. First, Newfos are taught to perform basic exercises. He must learn to drag the object behind him. Initially this is done on the ground, then it is performed in water. You must constantly engage with the dog. If there is no time for this or there is a lack of self-confidence, you can contact a specialist for help.
On average, life expectancy is 8-10 years. So much time is given to almost all large dogs. Representatives of this breed are characterized by the same diseases that are common in large dogs. Very often a heat stroke happens. Problems with the organ of vision and the heart are not excluded.