There are always times when a pet is not feeling very well. Usually the owner notices this and immediately feels the nose of the animal. If it is cold and wet - the dog is healthy, if it is dry and warm - perhaps there are some problems with the health of the animal. However, a dry nose does not always signal the presence of the disease. The reasons for this may be mass. But how to understand when dry nose is the norm, and when is pathology? In which cases you can calm down, and in which you can start to sound the alarm and go to the vet? In this article will be considered all sorts of options for a dry nose in dogs.
Dry and warm nose - not always dangerous
Since ancient times, there is an unchanging tradition to determine the condition of a dog by the method of palpation of the nose. The thing is that before there were no thermometers and other devices for determining the health of a pet, so this method was the most popular. Yes, and veterinary hospitals did not exist. First, let's talk about why a wet and cold nose is considered to be a variant of the norm.
The surface of the dog's nose is covered with a mucous membrane, which produces moisturizing secrets. Dog nose is necessary not only to determine the smell, but also to respond to the slightest temperature changes. When the dog is in a dream, this body is responsible for the possible approach of the enemy and controls all the processes taking place nearby. The animal's olfactory organ is able to control body temperature, infectious diseases and weakened immunity.
In what cases does a dog’s dry and warm nose be the norm?
- Features of the animal and age. Often, such manifestations occur in puppies. This is due to the growth and restructuring of the body. If no associated symptoms are observed, then you should not worry. Baby just grows up and everything goes. Some pets due to the nature of the structure of the body and the breed have a slower metabolism. In such cases, the constant dryness of the nose - a manifestation of the normal process of life.
- The dog just woke up. If the pet is kept in a comfortable environment, then over time it loses its ability to be in a constant state of anxiety and alertness. Due to this, the life span of the animal increases significantly, but the nose “dries” more often. In cases where the animal rests in a specially equipped house for sleeping or under a blanket, its body heats up and the nose “dries up”. After waking up, it is enough for a pet to drink water and everything will be fine.
- Experiences and stress. If an animal has experienced some kind of emotional shock and is very alarmed - soothe it, give something tasty, provide care and affection, and also place it in a calm and quiet place. The main thing is that the nervous system of the animal returns to normal, and with it the work of all organs has normalized.
- Fatigue. After long and heavy physical exertion, the animal may feel weak. Do not worry. It can be easily restored. The main thing - to provide the dog complete rest, good nutrition. After resting, the animal will recuperate and return to its usual rhythm of life. It happens that during long journeys or when moving to a new place of residence, the animal completely refuses to eat and behaves quite strangely. Here the most important thing is to monitor the condition of the dog. If there are no additional signs, then it will be enough just to play with the pet, provide it with attention, affection and care. Very soon he will come back to normal and get rid of the experiences.
A very cold nose and ears of a dog are a clear indicator of the hypothermia of a pet's body. Here you need to change the temperature, but if the pet's eyes are dull and drooping, and the gums have a pale tint, we immediately go to the veterinarian. Sometimes it is very difficult to distinguish the usual fatigue with the pathologies of various organs.
The main causes of dry and hot nose in dogs
So, when additional symptoms were added to the main symptoms, we investigate the state further and try to find out what happens to the pet. The main thing to do is to compare the main symptoms and make a list:
- smooth surface;
- the surface of the nose is cracked, itchy and flaky.
Pet body temperature:
- high / low temperature;
- temperature indicators are normal: from 37.5 to 39 degrees.
- The dog is cheerful, active, has a good appetite and willingly plays with the owner.
- The dog is looking for a quiet and dark place, does not want to eat and drink, constantly combing his skin, behaves aggressively.
- has a healthy shine, pleasant to the touch and cool;
- hair sticks into tangles, confused, have an unhealthy look.
How dog breathes:
- breathing occurs without difficulty using the nose;
- It is difficult for the dog to breathe through the nose, there is congestion, sneezing, inflammation.
Digestion of food:
- the animal behaves naturally;
- there is diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, inability to go to the toilet if desired.
If all answers from this plan have a positive connotation, then be sure that the animal has conceived something and most likely problems on a psychological background. Perhaps the dog does not have enough attention, care or affection. But in order not to invent anything extra - ask for help from a veterinarian for prevention. This will be good for your pet and for your nervous system. If there are more negative answers from the plan, then it is recommended to immediately take the pet to the veterinary clinic, especially if you have recently brought a pet and this is your first experience.
When does a hot nose signal an animal's disease?
- Allergic reactions are the most common problem. Related signs: the pet constantly scratches the skin, closes the face with its paws and becomes very nervous. Constant twitching of the body, dandruff and peeling of the skin appear. Independently determine the allergen is very difficult and without the help of a specialist there is hardly possible to do. Of course, you can try to replace all the animal's dishes with stainless or ceramic ones, remove all synthetic items and carpets. The diet will also have to be radically changed: leave only cereals and broths. More often carry out wet cleaning of premises, refusing to use household chemicals. You should mark every thing that has been removed from the dog's everyday life in a notebook. Walk the animal away from flowers that can cause allergic reactions. As soon as you notice improvement in the animal, go immediately to the doctor for further therapy. Sometimes with the help of tests you can identify the type of allergen, but if this did not work out the first time, continue to keep a diary and record all the items that you remove from your pet's everyday life. Only such small steps can cope with this disease and detect the allergen.
- Pemphigus is a fully immune disease. The main symptoms of the disease - the appearance of blisters on the nose or body of the animal. Bubbles burst, leaving a crust in place. It can be detected only with the help of tests that will confirm one or another type of pathogen.
- Cold. It can occur in the form of a common cold, or it can turn into a more severe form - pneumonia. It is worth remembering that this complication occurs in dogs much harder than in humans and is much easier to end with a lethal outcome. Therefore, it is very important to show your pet to the veterinarian in a timely manner. The specialist will examine the dog’s chest, listen to it and decide what to do next.
- The Plague. Very acute disease, rapidly turning into a severe form. Signs: apathy, pus formation on mucous surfaces. Diarrhea and vomiting with blood, convulsions.
- Rabies. This disease poses a serious threat to both animals and humans. In animals, unfortunately, it is incurable. Signs: photophobia, aggressiveness, lack of appetite, but the dog is very thirsty. If the dog is sick with rabies, then it is put to sleep.
If you find these or other symptoms in an animal, you should not suffer to guess, and immediately visit the vet, because sometimes an extra minute will help save a pet's life.