Do you know the feeling of fear? When goosebumps swarm around your body or it’s like you dip into a vat with cold water. Horror, nightmare, anxiety - all these are just varieties of fear. But are there always reasons to be afraid? It so happens that against the background of experienced stress, chronic spiritual wounds, a person becomes vulnerable to fears that may arise from anywhere. But despair and run to the pharmacy for sedation is not worth it. It is necessary to take a deep breath, exhale, and tune in to fight with yourself, with all fears and phobias. In the meantime, you need to learn as much as possible about this unpleasant feeling, because you need to know the enemy by sight.
Why do we have fear
Fear is a protective function of the body. People experience this feeling in order to protect themselves from danger — this is a signal of flight. Fear has passed to us from ancestors, for example, fear of snakes, spiders, even plants. Avoiding dangerous situations, poisonous insects and predators helps all living things still exist. Self-preservation instinct allows, in addition to the impending threat, to avoid potential dangers. For example, fear of heights, depths, darkness, helps to protect themselves in advance from risky actions.
Phobias appear due to previously experienced unpleasant situations. For example, a person may be afraid of insects, because he was once bitten by a bee or heights, from an unsuccessful fall. And panic fear of speaking, says that once there was a bad experience in school at the blackboard. This all does not mean that each phobia is responsible for the experienced troubles. It also happens that it flows into adult life for reasons that occurred in childhood, which have already been forgotten in the subconscious. But our brain is very cunning and it sends the person’s memories to an inaccessible place that can be extracted with the help of a psychologist or even hypnosis. Therefore, it is often difficult to get rid of a phobia, but if you make an effort and give yourself time, the results will not keep you waiting.
In addition to the survival instinct and contrived fears, you can be anxious in a big city. In megalopolises, life goes on in a constant hustle and bustle, traffic jams, the metro, crowds of people, rush hour and many other things very negatively affect the human psyche. I want to run away and hide from this noise, close by ten doors and turn off all the phones. But there comes a new day and again the morning bustle, work, home worries, calls. It is no wonder that man soon breaks down and turns into a frightened creature. Of course, it all depends on the inner spirit and on relaxation techniques after a hard day. If you properly relax, work and think, then all the fuss will turn into pleasant cares.
Types of fear
Fears are shared by the following qualifications:
Social. They are massive and do not bring a real threat to the object. For example, fear of public speaking, leadership, getting bad grades, accountability, communication with strangers, new acquaintances, relocation, possible failure or even success;
Biological. Such concerns are necessary for us to survive and are nothing more than the instinct of self-preservation. These include: fear of lightning, thunderstorms, earthquakes, predators, a volcanic eruption;
Existential. They have mostly biological roots and cannot be completely cured, as they exist deep in the human subconscious, they are not recognized by the object and do not have a specific content. For example, fear of darkness, space, old age, death, future, uncertainty;
Baby. Even in the womb, the child feels the mood of his mother and can show his emotions (pushes in the stomach). In infancy, the child is endowed with biological fears, the fear of bright light, noise, cold, so the appropriate response to them is crying. Then social anxieties develop, the main part of which is inherited. But it all depends on the atmosphere in which the baby grows, what the relationship between parents is, how they communicate in the family, the number of brothers and sisters, relatives and friends. And of course, it all depends on the upbringing of the child. Everything leaves its mark on a person’s life.
There is also a classification of phobias (according to Karvasarsky):
- Agorophobia (open);
- Claustrophobia (closed);
- Social phobia;
- Nosophobia - fear for personal health, associated with the fear of death;
- Cardiophobia suddenly (which will stop the heart);
- Carcinofrobiya (ill with cancer);
- Fear of death or thanatophobia. The main component of all alarms and phobias;
- Fear of hurting yourself and loved ones;
- Contrasting fears;
- Fear of fear, fear of the most disturbing sensations.
What are the fears of danger?
Fears are sometimes even useful, but in moderation. Firstly, they help to escape from a dangerous situation, secondly adrenaline enters the bloodstream, which is necessary for a person.
Still, excessive and persistent fears adversely affect the quality of life and human health. Due to constant anxieties, a person stops enjoying life, communicating with people, going into society, making serious decisions, achieving goals. Soon he turns into a outcast with whom it is impossible to communicate. In addition, against the background of fears, a psychosomatic state, sleep disturbance can occur. A person becomes a prisoner of his experiences, besides, frightened people are easy to manipulate. Remember at least how many opportunities you have refused, going on about your anxieties. The main enemy of success is fear.
Tired of being scared? Then it's time to get out of this quagmire and start a program to get rid of fear.
How to get rid of fear and anxiety
- See fear in the eyes, stop being afraid of it. What is fear is only the body's response to any situation, chemical signals that enter the brain. The emotion itself is not dangerous. So, if you take a ride in the elevator or talk to a new acquaintance, nothing will happen to you. Stop trusting fear; not all actions need to be performed, which the brain sends;
- Think about the upcoming prospects. We are not afraid of the very future, but the feeling of fear that will arise during an unforeseen situation. Maybe it's time to look for the good side? For example, if you are afraid of losing your job, think about how many opportunities may open up when looking for a new activity. And if the plane gives you a wild horror, then think not about the flight itself, but about how you will find yourself at the resort and spend a dream vacation;
- Be prepared for anything. It makes no sense to convince yourself that everything will be fine and at the same time shake with fear. If you have to pass the exam, you still can’t get away from it. Poor or good write - in any case, it should take place, be prepared for any assessment;
- Watch your fear. Look at it from the side, pay attention to the moment when the alarm arises, make it a curious object;
- During attacks of fear, begin to breathe deeply in the diaphragm. Take your time, focus on the very breath, watch the inhale and exhale, move away from everything else;
- Relaxation. It is combined with breathing. If there is a possibility - lie down, imagine how every cell of the body is saturated with oxygen and relaxes;
- Remember how many times and when your fear was not exercised. For example, you are constantly afraid of getting seriously ill, but each time the tests show good results. See, not everything is so terrible, nothing terrible happened;
- Refers to fear as a thrill. Adrenaline can be obtained by jumping with a parachute or speaking in public. Imagine that your fear is a kind of thrill;
- Accept your fear, do not resist it. Self-control is important, but it does not always work like a clock, so feel and be afraid here and now, just understand that the alarm will soon pass by itself;
- Do not become attached to things. A person is afraid of losing something he has become accustomed to, so it is not necessary to be very dependent on anything or even anyone. If you love money, then you are afraid to go bankrupt, if you live for your children, then it is hard to endure the separation, their relocation. Diversify your life, do not dwell on only one. There are many miracles in life, only you do not know about it;
- Meditate. Know yourself, feel your ego. So you will begin to understand a lot and be more comfortable with everything;
- Stop imposing other people's fears. They only talk about diseases, deaths, natural disasters. But one should not take everything personally, yes, of course, we are all eternal, but is it worth being afraid of the natural process every minute? Not. There are not so many things to be afraid of in the world, the main thing is personal perception;
- Do not avoid situations that frighten you. You are afraid to fly - fly, speak - get ready for a solemn speech, go out in the sun - sunbathe. Nothing saves fear as an action itself;
- Strengthen the nervous system, exercise, find a hobby, quit bad habits, leave the house, take a walk in the fresh air, laugh more often. Take action;
- Make more friends and acquaintances. Be open, share your feelings with your family, it will be easier to cope with the accumulated fatigue and anxiety.
Of course, it is necessary to listen to fear, because, after all, it is our intuition and natural instinct. However, one must distinguish between justified and unjustified anxiety. Avoid dangerous situations that actually threaten you, but you should not close off from the whole world in your shell. Live and enjoy life, live in the present, do not waste time on empty alarms and then everything will be up to you.