Leather is considered to be a durable material. A good leather jacket will protect against rain, wind and will serve its owner / owner for a long time. But sharp edges of objects, sharp unbuttoning of buttons can “traumatize” the product. Do not panic. Leather jacket can be repaired, and the gap to glue their own hands.
Materials and fixtures for repair:
- sharp scissors;
- hard glue brush;
- special glue for skin;
- leather patch that fits in color and slightly larger than the size of the hole.
Tips for sticking damage
In order to repair the jacket did not bring a lot of trouble, and it did not have to be carried to the master with more serious injuries, use a few tips:
- To seal the skin, use only special glue. It will dry longer, but it does not make the repair place oak, like other adhesives. It is recommended to take a transparent glue. The most suitable for sizing leather jackets is nairitovy, dismokolovy or rubber glue. These substances well and firmly seize, dry rather quickly. These types of glue are intended for the repair of leather and artificial leather products.
- Before repairing the jacket, carefully read the instructions for use of the adhesive.
- Leather jacket should be well dried and cleaned of dust before sticking.
- Try to secure the gap with scotch tape and plaster. To do this, carefully loosen the lining of the jacket, from the seamy side, glue the edges of the hole with improvised means. Thus, it will save from increasing damage.
Steps for repairing a leather jacket
At home, you should assess the place of the gap, consider the subsequent operations of the clothing repair process.
- Use sharp scissors to cut edges that are too damaged, as well as threads. From the seamy side, clean the joint with the patch with a soft sandpaper.
- So that the edges of the hole do not move, they must first be fixed with adhesive tape on the front side. Thus, it will not only be more convenient to repair the jacket, but also leave the place of damage as inconspicuous as possible.
- The next step is to prepare the patch. Be sure to match the size of the hole and a piece of skin. The patch should be a bit larger. Cut the edges from the inside out with scissors or sandpaper. Next, apply a layer of glue on the wrong side to keep better. Be sure to meet the time specified in the instructions. It will take about half an hour.
- Spread the gap on the jacket with glue. It is best to use a brush that evenly distributes the adhesive over the entire surface. Apply the patch to the place of the gap, align all with tweezers and press around the perimeter with your fingers.
- We start to handle the hole on the outside of the jacket. To begin, gently remove the adhesive tape. Tweezers or a toothpick slightly unscrew the edges of the gap. Thin glue with a thin brush. Align the edges so that no damage is visible, and press with your fingers. Remove excess glue with a cloth. Attention: the skin should not be too smooth, because after drying it will stretch and may tear near the place of repair. Also, make sure that there is no bulge that will be too noticeable.
- Leave the jacket to dry completely. If the product is made of thick leather, then it should be placed under pressure for a while.
- Leather jacket can be given a second life with the help of metal rivets, buttons, chains or colorful stripes. The thing will find a creative look and will be different from its "fellow".
- A small hole can also be decorated with machine embroidery.
- After repairing the damage, sew up the jacket lining. Pick up the thread to match the lining, make the seam unobtrusive.
- When the glue is completely dry, the place of rupture, and even paint the whole jacket with a special paint for leather items.
To avoid further damage to leather goods, systematically inspect it. The most vulnerable places where the skin on the jacket is usually wiped and torn is the sleeves (at the elbows), pockets, slats with buttons and loops.
If you notice that the material has become much thinner than all the clothes, then strengthen the "weak spot" in advance. It is not necessary to use a leather patch for repair. It is enough to glue a piece of fabric from the reverse side.
If the damage is more serious or you are not confident in your abilities, then it is better to take the leather jacket to the workshop. The master will select a more suitable option for the repair of the product. It is not excluded that it is necessary not only to glue the jacket, but to sew a new piece of material to the place of damage. This operation is best done on a special sewing machine.