The strawberry season does not last long, as a result, many housewives prefer to harvest berries for the future. One of the common options for the preservation of beneficial properties and the structure of the fruit is considered freezing. The procedure can be performed in many ways, so the technology is not difficult. Especially valuable recommendations are considered in cases where the strawberries are not bought, but collected from their own beds. Consider the actual methods in order, we give practical recommendations.
Preparing dishes for freezing strawberries
- If the goal is to get a lot of small portions, use plastic disposable cups or yogurt containers (volume 100-150 gr.). Also cheap and easy storage options are heavy plastic bags or food film.
- Some housewives prefer to freeze strawberries in containers for heating food in the microwave. Plastic dishes with lids have a different volume (from 100 g. To 2 kg.), Therefore, to find a suitable container is not difficult. This option is considered optimal, since plastic dishes are convenient to use and quite compact (strawberry containers can be stacked).
- Regardless of the type of container chosen, it is important to consider the fact that all forms must be clean. Remove remnants of food and odor in advance (it can be removed with lemon juice). At the same time, strawberries are laid out exclusively in dry dishes / packages.
Preparing strawberries for freezing
- Special attention is paid to washing the berries. The procedure must be carried out correctly, otherwise the strawberries will absorb the liquid and become loose. Send the berries into a colander, then lower them several times into a basin of water at room temperature. Drain the garbage, repeat the action again. After that, lay the berries on a cotton towel, leave to dry completely. Do not use napkins, otherwise the softened paper will stick to the surface of the strawberry.
- As for harvesting, if possible, pick berries in the morning before the dew appears. It is at this moment that the berries are dry and juicy. You can also hold a collection after the decline of heat (18.00-19.00 hours). Refuse to pick berries in wet weather or when the sun is scorching, otherwise the fruits will become loose after freezing.
- If you use to freeze the berries from your own garden (recently harvested), it is not necessary to wash them. Blow the fruit with cool air from a hairdryer, then proceed with the procedure. Strawberries remain “alive” for 3 hours after harvest, washing removes a protective film that prevents the growth of bacteria.
- In the case of a purchase composition, washing is obligatory. After wet processing and drying, you can tear off the tails, then sprinkle the areas of separation with sugar. Such a move will preserve the aesthetic appearance of the fruit and prevent weathering.
- If you plan to freeze strawberries in a dry way, choose varieties of dark red. As a rule, they include a hybrid with strawberries. You should not use dry frost on juicy, early, fresh (just harvested) fruits.
- To later enjoy the taste of strawberries, it is important to defrost it properly. If possible, carry out manipulations in a natural way, do not use a microwave. Send the frozen fruit to the bottom shelf of the refrigerator, wait for thawing.
Method number 1. Whole strawberry freeze
- To start, wash the berries, move them on a towel, wait 1 hour until the liquid is completely drained. In cases where strawberries are from a country bed, skip this step.
- Freezing will be carried out in bags, but berries should not be glued. Put the plastic bag on the cutting board (you can wrap it with food film), put the berries at a short distance from each other.
- Try to place the strawberries in rows to freeze evenly. If possible, sort the fruit by placing large to large, and vice versa.
- Send a chopping board with strawberries laid out in the freezer, leave for 1 hour. After the allotted time, remove the bag from the board so that the fruits are inside.
- Spread the berries throughout the package cavity to save space in the chamber. Tie up, put the product in the freezer. Similarly, freeze the second and subsequent portions.
Method number 2. Frozen chopped strawberries
- Many housewives prefer to freeze strawberries in the form of mashed potatoes. After defrosting, the composition can be added to fruit compote, desserts, sauces, etc. On the basis of crushed fruits, everyone's favorite milkshake is prepared, so it makes sense to consider the technology in more detail.
- The peculiarity of the procedure is that the berries are ground with sugar, so the mashed potatoes turn out to be sweet. To start, wash the fruit and leave it on a towel to dry.
- After that, send the berries to the bowl of the blender, add honey or sugar to taste, grind the composition. Prepare food containers, pour strawberry puree over them, send them in the freezer.
- It is not necessary to cook strawberries with sweeteners, some prefer to chop and freeze it without adding sugar / honey. It all depends on personal preference. If possible, choose such a container to fit only 1 portion.
Method number 3. Strawberry freeze with sugar
- Preparation of the fruit is similar to the previous methods of freezing. Rinse and dry the berries, take the plastic containers. The volume is unimportant, the fruits will be folded in a solid form.
- Wrap a flat dish or chopping board with cling film and place the strawberries on the prepared surface. Send in the freezer for 45-60 minutes, at this time, rinse and dry the containers.
- After freezing, remove the fruit, put them in a container, alternating with sugar. The amount depends on personal preference. Upon completion of all manipulations, send the strawberries in the freezer.
Method number 4. Strawberry freeze in syrup
- One of the most common options for freezing strawberries is the combination of fruit with sugar syrup. The berries are filled with liquid, then sent to the chamber.
- To start, prepare the fruit. Wash each strawberry, then place it on a cotton towel. Leave on for 1.5-2 hours until the moisture is completely gone.
- At this time, start cooking the syrup. Pick up heat-resistant containers (for example, a saucepan), pour 850 ml. filtered water. Bring the liquid to the first bubbles, reduce power to a minimum.
- Sprinkle 275 gr. sugar (preferably cane) or thick honey, mix. Add 30 ml. lemon juice (or 3 grams of acid). Tomite the mass until the grains are completely dissolved.
- Place the berries in a container, pour the strawberries with the syrup cooled to room temperature. Cover with a lid, leaving a small hole. Freeze for 10 hours, then cork tightly and store in the freezer.
Method number 5. Freezing strawberries in ice briquettes
- The option of freezing berries is suitable for people who are planning to hold an incendiary party (ice cubes are added to alcoholic or non-alcoholic cocktails).
- The end product looks like this: you see strawberries wrapped in ice, and the shape is a square or a rectangle (depending on the ice cells).
- Boil 600 ml syrup. purified water and 450 grams. sugar (350 gr. can be replaced with honey). You should get a lot of caramel color, moderately thick.
- After that, prepare a form for ice with large cells. Some housewives use a plastic egg holder, in which case ice will turn out in the shape of a hemisphere.
- Put one washed and dried strawberries in each compartment, pour syrup. Fill in the same way the whole mold. Send the contents to the freezer.
Consider freezing whole or chopped strawberries. Prepare the berries with sugar syrup or honey, pack the fruits in ice molds. Prepare smoothies, pies, milkshakes, use the preparation as an independent dish.