The animal is like a child, not only the source of endless affection, tenderness and friendship. For any pet you need to take care - to monitor hygiene, treat, educate. Sometimes cat owners have to wash their pets' eyes on their own, even before the visit to the doctor. Some breeds of cats require regular rinsing of the eyes, due to the nature of the lacrimal canal. In this article, you will learn when to wash the eyes of a cat, how to do it properly and safely, as well as what effective solutions are best to use.
When do you need to wash the cat's eyes
Inadequate care of the animal, as well as excessive diligence in the pursuit of cleanliness can bring a lot of trouble to the pet. Let us designate the main situations in which the cat needs eye rinsing.
- Foreign object. In the eyes of a cat, like a person, foreign objects can fall - dust, mote, small particles of various substances. As a rule, when irritated, the cat begins tearing, which leads to anxiety of the animal.
- Bacterial infection. If pus develops in the eyelids of a cat, dry crusts are replaced by new secretions, if the eyes turn sour, this is a sign of a bacterial infection. In this case, you should immediately wash the eyes with antimicrobial and antibacterial agents.
- Chlamydia. This is an acute infectious disease that is dangerous for a person, it is very easy to get it. Therefore, the disease must be urgently dealt with. As a rule, chlamydia is manifested by the strongest conjunctivitis, before the main treatment and use of medicinal ointments and drops, the eyes of the animal must be washed.
- Anatomical feature. Some breeds of cats need to constantly wash their eyes, since the structural feature of the lacrimal canal leads to constant tearing. These breeds include the Persians, British Shorthair, Fold Scots. If they do not wash their eyes, they will turn sour, the microbes will begin to accumulate, the amount of discharge will increase.
- Allergy. Cats, like humans, may have allergies. If the animal suddenly began to sneeze, the eyes began to water, possibly pollen from plants, dust from laundry detergent, etc. got on the cornea.
- Parasites. In case of helminthic invasion, the activity of the lacrimal canal is also enhanced, and no sclera or edema is observed.
It is necessary to treat the cat's moist eyes immediately, because with every hour the problem is usually aggravated. Very often the eyes are watery and soak in little kittens - in most cases this is normal, but it still requires rinsing. Kittens of the first months of life mom licks his eyes, and if you weaned the baby from the mother, this concern falls on your shoulders. Before proceeding to the procedure, try to figure out the best way to wash the eyes of an animal.
What solution to use for washing
It all depends on the condition of the eyes of the animal and the indications for the procedure. If the eyes are just watery, there are no crusts or purulent plaque around the eyelids; most likely, the cause of the tearing is allergy, foreign matter or physiological features of the lacrimal canal. In this case, it is enough to wash the eyes with simple solutions - clean boiled water, saline, black tea, decoction of herbs. By the way, chamomile will help calm the mucous membrane, remove swelling and redness. You can wash your eyes with a weak solution of potassium permanganate - it perfectly removes inflammation and disinfects the surface of the cornea. Any solution (especially plant broths and tea) should be carefully filtered through several layers of gauze to prevent ingress of small particles on the cornea.
If purulent crusts have accumulated around the animal's eyelids, black or brown discharge, most likely, it is a conjunctivitis of different nature - infectious, fungal or bacterial. For eye treatment, you need to use antiseptic drugstore - furatsilin, boric acid, sodium chloride, chlorhexidine. All of these tools are perfectly struggling with various pathogens. In the veterinary pharmacy, there are special drops "Diamond eyes" - they are intended for the treatment of ophthalmic diseases of cats. As part of these drops are antiseptic and anti-inflammatory components, the drug can be instilled directly on the cornea or wash their eyelids.
Remember that any selected solutions should be in low concentration, because it is still a gentle eye mucosa, which can get burned from powerful formulations. Any flushing fluid should be at a comfortable temperature — not hot or cold. As soon as you choose the medicinal composition, you need to proceed directly to the procedure itself.
How to wash the eyes of a cat
Prepare the rinse solution, a small volume syringe, lots of cotton swabs and cut pieces of bandage. To carry out all the manipulations you will have to fix the cat, so you should rinse your eyes with an assistant. If no one is around, you need to wrap the animal in a small towel so that the cat does not scratch you and run away ahead of time. Sit on the floor, gently clamp the pet between your legs, lift his head up and proceed to washing.
- First of all, wash your hands thoroughly and disinfect them - this is very important.
- Do not forget that the solution should be warm. Use for washing clean cotton wool is not worth it, it leaves behind fine villi that can get on the cornea and become a source of additional problems. It is better to wash your eyes with lint-free tampons, pieces of a bandage or cotton wrapped in a bandage - this is the best solution.
- Carefully moisten a clean cotton swab in the prepared solution, and then gently swipe the animal's closed eyelids. The cat itself will close its eyes with fear, so you only have to wipe the outer part of the eyelids, in any case do not touch the cotton of the cornea.
- If you suspect that a foreign particle has hit the mucous membrane, you should try to wipe the eyelids from the outer corner of the eye to the inner - that is, from ear to nose. In other cases it is not necessary, it is better to wipe the eyes in the opposite direction - that is, on the coat, and not against it.
- If a foreign particle remains inside the eyelid, do not try to pull it out with your nails or tweezers (in no case!). In such a situation, draw a solution into the syringe and direct it into the mote with a sufficiently strong jet, the animal's eye will not suffer from this.
- When washing, change the tampons as often as possible, do not moisten the used tampon in a clean solution, especially during conjunctivitis. In case of bacterial, infectious or fungal lesions after treatment, medicinal ointment can be applied to the mucosa - for example, tetracycline or hydrocortisone, you can use medicinal drops - Levomycetin or Tsiprolet. However, remember that there must be at least 10 minutes between rinsing and treatment so that the medicinal formulations do not react with each other.
- When instilling drops, do not try to open the eyelids of an animal by force — just put medicine in the corners of your eyes or in a bag of a drawn lower eyelid. When the cat blinks, the composition is distributed throughout the cornea.
- After rinsing, blot the eyelids of the animal with a dry swab, stroke your pet and treat him with a treat for patience.
If you can not remove the foreign body by yourself or it is stuck in the cornea - do not experiment, go to the doctor immediately. A veterinarian should also be contacted if all your manipulations do not bring any improvements, and the condition of the cat is only aggravated. If the rinsing solution does not help you, try to use something else, because in some cases, the animal may increase swelling and redness of the sclera due to an allergic reaction to the drug itself, from which the solution was prepared.
If the animal's eyes are not in order, if the cat is experiencing discomfort, it closes the diseased eye with its paw, in every possible way shows the owner its anxiety. In case of such symptoms, it is necessary to wash the pet's eye to alleviate his condition and return the friend to normal life.