Osteochondrosis is a common disease of the musculoskeletal system, namely, the spine. Osteochondrosis is manifested by a lesion of the intervertebral discs and bone tissues. Osteochondrosis can be thoracic, cervical and lumbar, depending on the location of the affected areas. Cervical osteochondrosis is often accompanied by a headache. Today let's talk about dizziness in osteochondrosis, find out why it occurs, as well as get acquainted with the main ways to combat this symptom.
Why when osteochondrosis is dizzy
The joints of the cervical spine are most susceptible to osteochondrosis, since their size is small, and they experience a tremendous load. The spinal column should keep the head at its various turns and bends. Even a slight displacement of the discs or muscle tension leads to squeezing of the vital arteries, blood vessels, veins and nerve endings. That is why the headache is a frequent visitor with osteochondrosis.
Dizziness is especially pronounced after sleep, when a person rises in a horizontal position. Often the head in osteochondrosis hurts after sleeping on a high pillow - unnatural bends of the cervical spine pinch the arteries and blood vessels, which, therefore, can not pass through a sufficient amount of blood. If a person suffers from atherosclerosis at the same time, the problem is exacerbated, since the lumen of the blood vessels in this disease is significantly narrowed.
Features of vertigo with osteochondrosis
But how to understand that dizziness is a symptom of osteochondrosis, and not another disease? Here are some signs of a headache that is caused by osteochondrosis.
- Mostly headache after waking up, when a person gets out of bed.
- Along with vertigo, the person feels nauseous, which can reach vomiting.
- Due to poor oxygen supply to the vestibular apparatus, it seems to the patient that all surrounding objects are moving and spinning.
- Often it seems to the patient that the headache is localized in the area of the face.
- In severe osteochondrosis, it becomes difficult for a person to move around, he cannot find a foothold, loses stability. It is fraught with injuries when falling.
- Dizziness may be accompanied by congestion, ringing, whistling in the ears, hearing acuity can be reduced.
- Another additional symptom is a violation of sweating. A person with a headache may become pale or, conversely, red.
- Vision also suffers; during dizziness, a white veil, colored flashes or black flies may appear before your eyes.
- Often, a violation of blood circulation in the brain leads to various cardiovascular pathologies. A person may feel numb hands, rapid heartbeat, pulling chest pain.
- To finally check whether dizziness is associated with osteochondrosis, lift sharply or turn your head. If the pain intensified - there should be no doubt.
Symptoms usually do not last long, for 5-10 minutes. If you experience these symptoms, you should see a doctor as soon as possible. He will check your suspicions, help to reliably diagnose and prescribe adequate treatment, which is necessary in your case.
Drug treatment of dizziness in osteochondrosis
If you experience dizziness and other symptoms in osteochondrosis, you need to treat the underlying disease to eliminate the secondary symptom. Treatment of this disease is carried out in several main areas.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs will help relieve muscle swelling, get rid of acute pain, suppress the inflammatory process. It reduces the pressure on the blood arteries. Among the anti-inflammatory drugs can be noted Diclofenac, Nimesil, Nise, etc. They should be taken systematically by courses.
- Antispasmodics or painkillers can help get rid of acute pain in the cervical spine and relax muscles. Among them are Analgin, Noshpa, Baralgin.
- Preparations for improving vascular permeability. It is aimed at expanding the blood arteries so that the brain receives more blood, and with it oxygen and nutrients. Actovegin improves the elasticity of blood vessels, increases nervous permeability, protects the brain from hypoxia. Cinnarizine dilutes blood, accelerates blood circulation in tissues, dilates blood vessels. Mydocalm - another effective drug that has a vasodilating property, perfectly relieves pain and improves blood microcirculation in brain tissues.
- Vitamins - another essential warrior in the fight against osteochondrosis. They are necessary for strengthening bone tissue, regenerating cartilage, improving the patency of nerve tissue. Most often, osteochondrosis is prescribed B vitamins, retinol, vitamins C and E.
- Chondroprotectors are needed to restore cartilage tissue, which flattens and squeezes blood vessels. Among them are Teraflex, Arthron, Movex. Some of them are taken only inside, others are intended for complex treatment - tablets and ointment.
- Warming ointments have a local anesthetic effect. Ointment applied to the neck increases blood circulation, dilates blood vessels, warms and relieves pain after 5 minutes. Among these funds can be distinguished Kapsikam, Finalgon, Nurofen, Voltaren, etc.
Remember that self-treatment is unacceptable, the appointment of drugs and their dosage should be carried out only by the attending physician.
Exercises in the fight against osteochondrosis
To get rid of osteochondrosis once and for all, you need to completely change the way of life. We will talk about the rules of life for patients with this disease, but for now let's talk about one of the main conditions for getting rid of dizziness in case of cervical osteochondrosis - physical therapy. Exercises will help strengthen the muscular frame, stretch the vertebrae, bring cartilage tissue back to normal. So, a set of exercises for the treatment of cervical osteochondrosis.
- Gently and slowly roll your head in one and the other side. Movements should be smooth and measured, they should not bring discomfort.
- Make light bends with your head - right, left, forward and back.
- Press your palm over the forehead, the neck must resist. This is a good workout for cervical muscle groups.
- After this, repeat the exercise with pressure. But now you need to put pressure on the back of your head, then on the right and left temple. Increase the pressure force so that the muscles of the cervical spine can withstand.
- Turn the head as far as possible to the right and left.
- With your nose in the air you need to draw a circle, square and figure eight of maximum size.
Remember, exercise can not be done during the acute phases of the disease. When dizziness becomes less pronounced, you can begin to exercise, they should be done very slowly and smoothly, so as not to bring yourself discomfort and pain.
How to get rid of dizziness with cervical osteochondrosis
To cure the disease completely is quite difficult. However, you can reduce the number of painful attacks and make them less pronounced. Here are a few rules that will help you suppress osteochondrosis and get rid of dizziness.
- Use physiotherapy treatment. The low-frequency impulses of the Dorsonval apparatus, which improve the functioning of the nerve fibers, help very well against osteochondrosis. It is also effective to use electrophoresis, magnetic therapy, ultrasonic effects.
- Overweight greatly aggravates the course of the disease, it creates an additional load on the vertebral discs. Therefore, you need to try to lose weight and lose those extra pounds. To do this, eat fractional, eliminate from the diet all fatty, fried, sweet, eat more fresh vegetables and fruits. It is necessary to move more - at least to walk.
- Be sure to follow the rules of healthy eating. Avoid fatty foods that narrow the lumen of blood vessels. Drink more water, minimize the amount of salt consumed - it contributes to the appearance of a seal, the so-called "withers" in the upper back.
- Sleep on a low pillow so as not to create unnatural curves in the cervical spine.
- Be sure to take courses for therapeutic massage. A professional masseur will knead deposits in the cervical spine and improve blood circulation in the tissues.
- Swim in the pool more often. During swimming, the entire muscle group is trained, and the load on the spine is minimized.
- Pull the cervical spine on the bar, hang at least several times a day for 10-20 seconds.
- In the fight against osteochondrosis popular recipes help. Take a tablespoon of animal fat (pork, goose, badger or beef) and mix with mint extract. Mint irritates the skin, increases blood circulation, and fat warms the affected areas perfectly. Prepared with ointment need to smear painful areas of the neck before bedtime.
- This is an excellent warming compress that can be used to treat cervical and lumbar osteochondrosis. Mix a tablespoon of chopped aloe pulp, a glass of vodka, a tablespoon of honey and three tablespoons of black radish juice. Stir the ingredients and apply the mixture on painful areas of the back and neck. Cover the top of the film and wrap a warm woolen scarf. Leave the compress for 2-3 hours, and then rinse with warm water.
- Every day before bed, do a self-massage of the neck, using fir or menthol oil. Perform rubbing, stroking, rotational and clapping movements. This will allow you to relax and have a good rest throughout the night without pain.
These simple tips and advice will help you overcome the disease, get rid of osteochondrosis and annoying dizziness.
Previously, osteochondrosis was considered a disease of older people - their cartilaginous intervertebral discs were wearing out, which led to inflammatory processes. Today, the disease is rapidly getting younger - osteochondrosis is diagnosed even in children. All this is due to low physical activity. Move more, try to walk more often, play sports, teach your children to play outdoor games and then no pains in the neck and spine will bother you anymore!