Our children learn this world - every day more and more. And to taste the thing that is interested in it is an ordinary thing, for sure each mommy noticed more than once that the child was trying to put various objects around him in his mouth. This phenomenon is due to the fact that it is in the language, as well as in the oral cavity, a huge number of receptors are located - they are one of the tools that allows you to find out how this world works.
Of course, over time, moms manage to wean the child to drag everything into the mouth. But some people notice that with this odd habit, another, more unpleasant one appears - the child begins to bite those around him. The kid bites children on the playground, guests and relatives - it does not matter at all that it is a stranger or a native. Naturally, this behavior causes shame to the parents, they begin to persuade the child, to curse - but no methods work. What can be done in this situation, and how to wean the child to behave in this way? You will find the answers to the above questions in this publication.
For what reason does the baby behave this way?
Before you scold your child, first of all you need to understand why it behaves this way. After all, almost always small children do certain things unconsciously, so the child bites not in order to make parents unpleasant, but because there are certain reasons. Consider them in detail:
- Physiological needs. Manifest in children, ranging from 5 months. The desire to nibble and bite everything is due to the fact that the child begins to cut teeth. This is a great stress, the baby is in severe pain, his gums swell and itch. How to get the baby out of this situation? Naturally, he begins to pull everything in his mouth and bite - in order to relieve discomfort. As a rule, this behavior in children lasts up to 11 months, and there is nothing to be done about it - this is how the baby helps itself.
- Problems with the expression of emotions. Upon reaching the year, the child can already bite on purpose - but then again, not out of malice. A child has a very small vocabulary, therefore, emotions and feelings (as adults do - verbally) cannot be expressed. Especially it concerns the periods when the baby experiences bright sensations or stress. Therefore, all that a child can do in this case is to bite others.
- Peculiarities of behavior. Starting from 1.5 to 3 years old, the child is already starting to bite because of experiencing pronounced negative emotions or stress. The most common example is kindergarten, when parents only take the baby to a new environment. He is surrounded by new, alien people, he has to live by the new rules.
- Diseases of the psyche. You can say that your child has mental problems only if the child has already reached the age of four, that is, he is fully capable of understanding what he is doing. In this case, the help of a child psychoneurologist is already needed, he will establish the possible causes of this behavior, and also assign the correct and effective therapy.
What kids tend to bite?
Komarovsky claims that all children tend to try to bite. However, not all experts agree with his opinion. Some children do not even think about biting, while others do it quite often - such a picture can be observed in kindergartens, and it looks strange and ugly. So which children are prone to biting others? Consider in detail.
- Imitators. There are kids who like to copy the behavior of people around them. For example, a baby may try to bite simply because it copies the behavior of another child from the environment, and in some cases - pets.
- Too emotional kids. You can meet girls and boys who are overwhelmed with feelings - both positive and negative.
- Children deprived of affection, love, care. It often happens that parents pay too little attention to their children. In this case, in order to win it, the child starts to bite, sometimes pinching. It is noteworthy that if there is no one around, the baby can perform these manipulations with itself, for example, pinching a hand or a leg.
- Aggression. In this case, you can talk about aggression if the baby has already reached 3 years of age. And the parents, as well as the caregivers, did everything possible - while the child still continues to bite himself and those around him. This already indicates that there are some problems in the development of the child’s personality - there is a high level of aggression. In this case, it is already necessary to contact the doctor who will prescribe the correction of behavior. Naturally, to comply with such measures must be strictly.
- Defect of the muscles responsible for chewing. The baby for a long time can not part with a dummy, and after two years can switch to other objects, while in the course he will let his teeth.
- Children living in families with scandalous parents. If constant shouts and quarrels in the family are a common occurrence, the child may begin to bite due to the fact that he needs protection. The kid feels fear because of endless scandals, and therefore begins to bite - subconsciously, he is trying to protect from such "heavenly" conditions.
- Pampering If the child is constantly pampered, everyone is allowed and never punished - in this case he will bite because of his whim. If you can, why not try?
- Children who are limited in everything. If some children bite because of what they can, then others may begin to bite because nothing is possible. That is, if the parents forbid absolutely everything to the child, then this behavior becomes a consequence of the prohibitions - the child protests, trying to break free and the rigid framework that his people have established.
- Lack of physical activity. If the child doesn’t have enough movement - it needs it, then bites become partly of a physiological need.
- Kids who like to bite. And this can be met sometimes - the child simply likes to bite others, likes the feeling itself, and does not cause pain to others.
What can be done?
Immediately it should be noted that the methods of struggle are directly dependent on the reasons why the baby began to bite.
If the baby bites you and the surrounding objects due to the fact that teeth began to erupt - today there is a huge range of silicone rings on sale, as well as toys with small pimples - to stimulate the gums. You can try painkillers and anti-inflammatory gels - but only after consulting a doctor.
If the baby bites while you are breastfeeding it, you can stop such behavior by taking it away. That is, the child develops a reflex - if the cousin means that the food disappears, naturally, in this case, the baby will stop biting everything that it sees. Even the smallest will not intentionally deprive themselves of their livelihood.
Very emotional kids need to be regularly reminded that they can and should pronounce the feelings that they have. Do not be afraid to say that he is scared, hurt or hurt, let him explain the reasons for which he feels these emotions.
With weak chewing muscles, the baby needs to be given more solid food - apples, carrots, etc. The child bites in such cases not from evil.
If the child is from a dysfunctional, scandalous family - in this case, he needs the help of a psychologist. The specialist will be able to eliminate all the factors for which the child has to experience stress. Naturally, parents should reconsider their behavior - reduce quarrels to a minimum, or do it not with a child, but try to create a friendly and calm atmosphere at home.
When does a child need help from a specialist?
It should carefully look at the behavior of the baby. If he is already more than 3 years old, and besides the fact that the child bites, you note other strange habits in his behavior - this is a reason to consult with a specialist. For example, your child may be cruel to pets, it is difficult for him to focus on one task, he does not sleep well at night - this may indicate the presence of any psychological abnormalities.
Important: Do not punish or scold a child if you do not know the exact cause of the problem! So you only aggravate the situation, so first of all you need to observe the behavior of your offspring, only after the analysis will be carried out, you can already draw any conclusions.
Recommendations of a psychologist
Quite often, uninformed people make rather strange recommendations. Like, if a child bites you - bite him back, let him feel what it is!
Immediately it is worth noting that this can not be done. The child may think that this is the kind of game - therefore, it will bite several times more, and it will also hurt more. Moreover, we all know that children take an example from us, that is, if mom can bite, it is therefore worth doing so to me.
Parents need to take all measures to prevent such behavior of the child. If the baby is already behaving intelligently, an eye-to-eye contact method will do. You need to squat down - so that your eyes are at the level of the child's eyes, make contact. After it is clear to him calmly to say that such behavior is unacceptable - never and with no one, either man or animal. If the child does not respond to such a method and tries to bite again - in this case, it is necessary to interrupt the visual contact, and not restore it until the crumb is understood that this cannot be done.
Next, you need to be sure to explain to the baby that biting is painful and unpleasant. You do not have to go with the child on occasion, especially if he bites in order to manipulate you.
Emotional children will be very unpleasant if you cry out at the moment of the bite. An adult should ensure that the child comforted after the deed and felt sorry for him. Do not be shy to describe your feelings to the child, especially not to think that it is useless - children always understand us, and even if not with words, then with the help of movements, gestures, etc.
If a child is at home - an angel in the flesh, while biting his peers in the kindergarten, you need to talk with the teacher. Ask the child not to be put in a corner and loudly scolded for the whole group, since such actions will only lead to a worsening of the situation. The child will bite more and more - in order to restore credibility in the group, as well as to protest.
We hope that thanks to this article you can understand why your child bites and eliminate it once and for all. Good luck in the educational process!