Under the Finnish hound means tricolor breed, which in the expanses of her homeland is called Suomenayokoyra. It is difficult to pronounce, but this is not a special need. Dogs are famous for their melodious voice, when they drive the game, they can give special signals. Due to this, the hunter himself and the "relatives" of the dog successfully complete the action. But first things first.
- If we proceed from the general name, it is clear that dogs originated in Finland. The breeder who created the first representatives of the breed, was previously a jeweler and a blacksmith in one person. Interesting fact, which explains the accuracy with which he picked up the features and external data of animals.
- There are many versions affecting the historical origin. According to some data, the dog turned out to be like this because the best hounds with hunting qualities were selected for crossing. Another theory says that the ancestors of the Finks crossed with other hounds breeds arriving in Finland from around the world. According to the third theory, Foxhounds were crossed with existing hounds, so they received the first individuals.
- To believe is not clear. But one thing is certain: the Finnish hound contains all the features of a real hunter, leader, friend of the family. The gene pool of this breed focuses on the positive aspects of all varieties of hounds.
- At the beginning of the 19th century, the Finnish hound was already quite firmly entrenched in Finland. A negative feature of the breed is its inability to hunt in the winter (and cold) season. Dogs are often taken to work in the summer, spring, and early autumn.
- Today, this deficiency is not so significant, because a person can already exist without hunting. However, when the breed was in its infancy, and at the same time it had to “take time off” from hunting for 7-8 months, this was considered a significant problem.
- Probably for the above reason, today a dog from Finland is more common not in its homeland, but in warmer regions. Finks have a small number, but in popularity can compete with their similar counterparts.
- Representatives of the breed are famous for their ability to drive hares and foxes, they quickly find prey, lead it. Can smell a trace even after 12 hours. The external and service qualities of dogs were appreciated in 1870 at the largest international exhibition.
- Amateur club began to develop skills, Finn took with them to hunt, when they went for a trot, elk, roe, etc. The hunters were pleasantly surprised with what agility the dog helped them in such hard work. Officially, the breed was recognized as unique and self-sufficient in 1985.
- According to its external data, the dog completely coincides with other similar "working" breeds. The body is rectangular, the body is taut, slightly dried. Average height, developed muscles, strong bones.
- If you evaluate representatives when they are in the rack, you can understand that the hind legs are very strong. It's all about the lowered croup and its power. The chest is voluminous, the lungs are deep, so the dog can work loudly and before exhaustion.
- In their dimensions, females differ slightly from males, but it cannot be said that gender superiority is at a high stage. The height of the female gender is 43-49 cm, the male slightly larger, 45-53 cm.
- The body weight of the dog is not tied to the gender, it varies depending on the age, activity and nutrition of the pet (from 20 to 25 kg.). The length of the body of bitches is characterized by indicators of 110-113 cm, male dogs -108-110 cm. It is worth remembering that it is extremely undesirable for a female to have a very short constitution, otherwise the offspring will not be able to fully eat because of the lack of access to nipples.
- Head. It has the format of a rectangle, not weighted, the length is average, the silhouette is clearly expressed. The frontal part is not too long, round, in the face flows without sudden jumps. Arcs around the eyes are clearly visible, which allows us to indicate the place of transition of the frontal part into the muzzle. The nose is straight. The lips are pigmented in the color of the coat or black, pressed against the jaws.
- Eyes. Famous for its almond shape, making the dog look cute. The eyes are well expressed, in size with the head harmoniously look, the slit is slanting. Eyelids do not hang, and tightly pressed. They are brownish or black in color. The irises are bright, saturated, preferably brown or so shades.
- Muzzle. It is proportional to the head, with a straight bridge of nose, a black pigmented lobe of a large nose. The nose itself is mobile, sensitive. The color may be brownish or black. Teeth set tight, large, fully loaded. The bite is correct.
- Ears. Widely planted, located at the level of the orbits. Flowing, not too thick and soft. They can be mobile in the area of the base, but never get up. On tips, rounded, adjacent to the head. It is unacceptable that the ears were covered with folds or a long woolen cover.
- Tail. It is not planted high, is at the level of the back and is its continuation. Thick at the base, tapers slightly towards the tip. When the dog is excited or playful, the tail rises, rushing saber. Light curvature is allowed, but not torsion.
- Limbs. With the most powerful joints, thick bone tissue, developed muscles. Oval in shape. The forelegs are longer than the hind ones, straight and parallel to each other. By the side view, an individual should not look like a dwarf with short legs, rather, the length of the limbs is about ½ of the size from floor to withers. The muscles of the hind limbs are dried, the paws themselves are thicker than the front. They are straight and slightly shorter, lowered.
- Body The dog is average in its physique, respectively, the body should look harmonious. The dog is well built, lean, muscular. The body does not look heavy and weighty, and is not. The skin does not sag, it fits tight enough, folds are unacceptable. Withers clearly visible, she muscled and developed. Chest decent volume and size has a rounded shape. The back is smooth, flows into a powerful loin and rounded muscular croup.
Color and type of wool
- Initially, the breed was bred for hunting in the warm season. It was assumed that the dog should be resistant to heat and heat. The skin of the animal tight to the body. Folds are completely absent. As a result, body streamlining remains at its height. The air is easy to slide on the animal while running.
- The presented breed has practically no undercoat. In this case, the guard hair is shiny, smooth and has an average stiffness. The hair is short all over the body, slightly longer on the tail. Because of this feature, the tail seems massive. For breed, wavy and long hair is not typical. This is considered a deviation from the norm.
- The most popular color of the breed is considered tricolor gamma. Shades can be white, black or red. The breed standard does not regulate the shape and size of the spots. Also does not take into account the saturation of their color. The Finnish Hound has other colors.
- Among those, most often is either black or tricolor. In which may include red, purple, brown or white color. It should be noted that when assessing the breed, the compatibility of pigmentation of the lips, eyelids and nose lobes with the color of the pet is taken into account.
Training and character
- In most cases, the breed in question has a rather friendly, responsive and docile character. Thanks to the purebred qualities, the hounds become excellent companions in sports.
- However, there are some subtleties. Despite the mild nature of the dog, training will not be easy. With the presented breed it is necessary to exercise rigor, perseverance, restraint and resilience. Such dogs hardly master various commands. It is extremely difficult to summon a pet to yourself.
- The problem is that the hound begins to quickly get involved in pursuit or play. If in the puppy's genus were just working individuals, then we can say with precision that the dog will not respond to your commands. Such an animal tends to make decisions independently. The working hound has its own opinion.
- As soon as the dog begins to grow up, be prepared for the fact that she will begin to try to take a leadership position. This desire must be stopped. Separately, it is worth noting that the leader of the pack has restraint and nobility. If you punish and shout at your pet, nothing good will come of it.
- A Finnish hound cannot be trained in classic ways. Habitual exercises quickly annoy the animal. Training is necessary to combine long and very energetic games. In the initial stages of upbringing, do not let the puppy run ahead of you.
- Thus, even in an unconscious age, the dog is trying to dominate you. Adults will always be stubborn when training. Therefore, education should occur as early as possible.
- In this matter, you need to find the right motivation and clearly prioritize. For the usual bribes such dogs will not carry out your orders. Promotion should be really valuable. It is for this puppy should be given due attention. A close relationship and close relationship should be established between you.
Care and maintenance
- We should also mention that the Finnish hound is not suitable for keeping in an apartment. Pet needs free space and very active walks. An excellent alternative would be a private house with a decent area adjacent plot.
- Do not forget that the dog belongs to the hunting breed. That is why it is necessary to run with a pet in the steppe or forest. The dog must look for other animals. For her, this is the best lesson. If you do not fulfill these needs, the pet will constantly experience tremendous stress.
- As a result, a severe psychological state negatively affects the general state of health of the animal and its character. Also active walks are strongly recommended in the circle of relatives. Hounds love mass games and fun. As for the care, then you will not have much difficulty.
A distinctive feature of Finnish hounds is the fact that with them you can walk on any animal or bird. Dogs do not work except in the winter, for unknown reasons. These are great companions who get along with humans and other animals.