The use of sesame in pregnancy ignites controversy between nutritionists around the world. On the one hand, the spice is a storehouse of calcium and other useful elements. On the other hand, sesame remains a source of esters and extractive components that are heavily tolerated by the body. The ancient practice of Ayurveda and all carried the seeds to the "hot" dishes that are able to create heat in the abdomen, thereby provoking miscarriage or premature birth.
Modern medicine has not found evidence of the danger of sesame, however, it is necessary to use it in reasonable dosages and only in the absence of contraindications.
Tiny seeds carry a lot of useful components for the health of mother and child:
- vitamins of various groups (B, E, A, K, riboflavin, as well as ascorbic acid);
- organic acids;
- minerals (calcium, selenium, iron, magnesium, zinc, potassium, copper, phosphorus, manganese, sodium and others);
- amino acids;
- glycerol esters;
- dietary fiber;
- polyunsaturated fatty acids;
- sesamin and sesamol.
Sesame is most valuable because it is a natural source of copper. Only 100 g of seeds for 40% meet the need of the future mother in this rare trace element.
Sesame also contains calcium - 30% of the daily value. This trace element supports the health of the skeletal system and the teeth of a pregnant woman, ensures the formation of the musculoskeletal system of the embryo.
Seeds for 50% meet the need of the female body in the gland. By consuming just a couple of tablespoons of sesame a day, the woman produces iron deficiency anemia, provides the synthesis of red blood cells and hemoglobin, which are important for the transport of oxygen.
Magnesium strengthens the health of the nervous system of the mother and child (removes anxiety, nervousness, irritability, emotional over-stimulation). It also reduces muscle contractions, helping to effectively deal with the tone of the uterus.
Sesamine and sesamol are natural antioxidants that inhibit cell oxidation, prolonging their youth. Also, these components reduce the concentration of "bad" cholesterol in the blood, thereby normalizing blood flow to the internal organs. Antioxidants bind and excrete abnormal cells from the body, prophylaxis of benign and malignant neoplasms in the female part.
Glycerol esters purify the blood and help gently reduce blood pressure, which is important for the prevention of eclampsia. Also, essential oil is useful in diseases of the joints.
Vitamin C provides general and local immunity, the body's resistance to bacteria, infection and the common cold.
The benefits of sesame during pregnancy
What is useful small seeds for the future mother and child.
- Strengthen the health of the oral cavity. Antioxidants, esters and calcium have a positive effect on the condition of teeth and gums, strengthen enamel, kill pathogens, promote healing of the mucous membranes.
- Help to overcome chronic constipation. Seeds produce a mild laxative effect, soften stools, facilitate the discharge of feces without straining.
- Improve digestion: prevent frustration and constipation, stimulate peristalsis, increase the absorption of beneficial components.
- Excreted harmful substances from the body: free radicals, poisons, metabolites, salts, radionuclides, etc.
- Remove excess fluid and salt from cells, reducing swelling. Normalize the water-salt balance, thereby restoring good blood circulation.
- Clean the kidneys due to the diuretic effect. Smash and remove from the body small stones in the kidneys and bladder. Normalize the frequency and volume of urination.
- Regenerate the cells, thereby rejuvenating the whole organism.
- Provide oxygen transport to the tissues and cells of the future mother, baby. Prevent fetal hypoxia.
- They clean the blood vessels of cholesterol, tone up and strengthen their walls. Also have a positive effect on the work of the heart, helping to pump blood through the extra placental circle.
- Produce prevention of inflammatory processes of the mammary glands and mastopathy.
- Prevent iron deficiency anemia.
- Positively affect the endocrine system, restoring hormones. Sesame contains natural phytoestrogens.
- Produce prevention of uterine fibroids, cysts, polyps and other structures that adversely affect pregnancy.
- Reduce depression and anxiety of the future mother, charge the body with vigor, improve mood.
- Reduce the tone of the uterus, prevent premature birth.
- Produce prevention of bleeding, ensuring normal blood clotting.
- Excellent interrupt appetite. A handful of seeds reduces the feeling of hunger and craving for sweets, characteristic of the "interesting position."
Sesame oil is used by pregnant women and for cosmetic purposes. When applied topically, it moisturizes and nourishes the epidermis, reducing the likelihood of stretch marks, reducing the appearance of cellulite. Due to the nutritional properties of the mask and cream based on sesame oil, rejuvenate and tone the skin, reduce shine, tighten pores, stimulate collagen production and increase resistance to negative environmental factors.
Application features and harm
Many doctors advise against the administration of sesame and its oil in the first trimester of pregnancy and immediately before birth. The abundance of extracts, sulfur, vitamin C and esters can cause individual reactions, severe food allergies, up to anaphylactic shock.
Abuse of oil leads to fluctuations in hormonal levels, which can cause uterine contractions and, as a consequence, premature labor. With a dysfunctional pregnancy and a history of miscarriages, sesame seeds are strictly prohibited.
With frequent and abundant use of sesame there is a risk of thrombosis, the development of varicose veins, thromboembolism, thrombophlebitis, which, in combination with edema, makes it extremely difficult for a woman to move in the third trimester.
Doctors recommend eating no more than 30 grams of sesame seeds a day. Of course, then the promised daily needs of vitamins are not fulfilled, but you can vary the menu with vegetables and fruits, cereals, meat and fish products.
Also, excess dosage is fraught with weight gain, because sesame seed is quite high in calories and contains fatty acids.
Eastern spice is not only tasty and nourishing, but also useful for the health of a woman and her unborn child. Enter sesame in the menu wisely and follow the recommended dosage.