A runny nose (or rhinitis) is a minor symptom that can be a sign of an allergic reaction or a viral cold. A runny nose can be different depending on the nature of the secreted mucus and the intensity of the flow from the nose. In this article you will be able to understand the nature of snot, the reasons for their appearance, as well as learn in detail about home methods of treating a cold.
Runny nose is divided into three large groups - infectious, allergic and vasomotor. To defeat a disease, you need to know the nature of its origin. After all, the principles of treatment may differ radically.
How to treat infectious rhinitis
Infectious rhinitis - this is the most common cold rhinitis, which we encounter most often. When a virus enters the mucosa, the body begins to actively fight against it, a large amount of mucus is produced to wash out the pathogen. This is how a clear nose nose appears, which is observed only at the onset of the disease. A cold cold rarely lasts more than 10 days, unless it has turned into a chronic form. The presence of thick (green or yellow) snot indicates the accession of a bacterial infection. Such a runny nose cannot be treated at home; it is imperative that you consult with your doctor to prevent the development of sinusitis and other inflammations of the sinuses.
Concomitant symptoms are characteristic of an infectious rhinitis - cough, fever, sore throat, tearing, aching joints, general malaise. In this case, it is necessary to treat not only a runny nose, but also to start the fight against the virus itself. To do this, drink as much water as possible - the virus is washed only with urine. An adult needs to drink at least three liters of liquid in order to feel relief the very next day. In addition, you need to often ventilate the room, keep the humidity and temperature of the air so that the mucosa does not dry out, and the runny nose goes faster. These basic techniques will help you quickly get rid of the infectious rhinitis.
How to treat allergic rhinitis
This is another popular type of rhinitis. It is proved that every fifth person who visits a doctor with a chronic rhinitis has an allergic nature of the disease. That is, often we treat completely different and wrong. How to distinguish a cold from allergic rhinitis? During an allergic rhinitis, there are no symptoms such as fever, general malaise. As a rule, allergic rhinitis develops rapidly and can be analyzed, which was the cause of its exacerbation. An allergen can be animal hair, some products, house dust, the smell of cigarettes and other harsh aromas, plant pollen, cosmetics. In addition to a runny nose, a person may have tearing, coughing, sneezing, a skin rash, the nose is not just flowing - breathing is fully laid.
Allergic rhinitis is easy to recognize - symptoms quickly disappear after taking an antihistamine. To get rid of this cold, you need to identify the allergen to which the body reacts. If you still have not found it, you need to pass allergy tests. When detecting a provoking factor, it is important to exclude the allergen from life. If a runny nose to dust - you need to do more wet cleaning in the room, remove carpets and soft toys. If you are allergic to animals, give your beloved cat in good hands, no matter how cruel it may seem. You should always have a spray or drops with you, which at the right time will help to cope with a runny nose of an allergic nature.
How to treat vasomotor rhinitis
The cause of this rhinitis is a violation of the blood vessels. When vasomotor rhinitis, the flow from the nose is insignificant, but breathing completely lays. A runny nose of a similar nature can arise from cold air, a strong smell or nervous shock. Often, vasomotor rhinitis occurs as a result of habituation of the body to vasoconstrictor drops. Using them for more than five days, the vessels in the body lose their elasticity and ability to expand and contract themselves. The person feels the nasal congestion and uses drops again, forming a circle that is hard to break. With vasomotor rhinitis, there are no associated symptoms, such as lacrimation, sneezing, coughing. But for such a runny nose are characterized by signs of dystonia - sweating of palms, trembling fingers.
Get rid of vasomotor rhinitis will help the doctor. It is very important to find the cause that provokes its appearance. If vasomotor rhinitis is associated with addiction to vasoconstrictor drugs, you need to gradually cancel their use, giving the vessels the opportunity to work independently.
Since the most common type of rhinitis is catarrhal, our article will describe detailed methods of home treatment for this type of rhinitis.
Warming up with a cold
Warming up is especially effective in the initial stage of the disease. It is said that a runny nose without treatment lasts a week, and with treatment it takes 7 days. So, if you warm up the cold in the first couple of days, it can be avoided altogether.
- Eggs Two eggs should be boiled, wrapped in a terry towel and attached to both sides of the nose. Keep until the eggs cool.
- Alcohol. Alcohol compresses perfectly warm up the sinuses. A piece of clean gauze should be moistened with alcohol and applied to the nose on both sides. The lotion should be covered with a film, put something warm on top and lie down with this construction on the nose for about half an hour.
- Sand or salt. It is necessary to warm the loose component in a frying pan, pour it into a cloth scarf, tie corners, and then apply it to the nose. Sand and salt keep warm for a long time, so this warming is most effective.
- White clay. From white clay and boiling water you need to knead the dough and make it a cake. Attach a warm tortilla to the nose and keep it cool.
After warming up, you can not go out, so the procedures are usually carried out before bedtime.
It is very important to warm not only the nose, but also the legs. To do this, after hypothermia or at the beginning of the disease, one should lower the legs into a basin with the hottest water (which one can tolerate). As the liquid cools, it is necessary to pour hot water into the basin. If you add mustard to the water, the effect will increase several times. After such procedures, you need to put on woolen socks on your feet, drink hot tea with raspberries and not get out from under the blanket until the next morning. The disease will recede, and not having time to develop.
This method is effective if there is an active secretion of mucus from the nose. You can flush the nose at home or in the office at the ENT.
- "Cuckoo". This is a special unit, the main component of which is a tube with a vacuum. The procedure is carried out only by a doctor. The patient lies on a hard surface, his head slightly tilted back. A special liquid is poured into one nostril with a syringe without a needle. The tube sucks this fluid from the second nostril. During the procedure, you need to say "Ku-ku" - during the pronunciation of this syllable the larynx is located so that the liquid does not fall inside the esophagus.
- Teapot. This is a home washing procedure that is easy to do with a small kettle. Drug liquid is poured into the container, the nose is attached to one nostril. Head over the sink should be slightly tilted to the side so that the liquid begins to flow out of the second nostril. For the first time it is better to carry out the procedure under the supervision of a doctor, otherwise the wrong technique will lead to the fact that infected mucus enters the middle ear and leads to inflammation.
- Syringe or syringe. Sometimes washing is performed with a syringe without a needle or syringe. Water under pressure is sent to the nostril so that it flows out of the throat. If this method does not suit you, you can rinse your nose without additional funds - just type the medicinal composition in your hand, close one nostril and try to draw in the liquid of the second nostril.
Washing the nose removes thick bacterial mucus, relieves dried crusts in the nose, and prepares the mucosa for the use of drugs. In addition, washing is an excellent prevention of allergies and colds, because the fluid washes away viruses and allergens from the mucosal surface.
As a solution for washing, you can use furatsilin (one tablet per cup of liquid), sea water (salt, soda and iodine), decoction of herbs (chamomile, calendula, marigold, St. John's wort). In addition to them, Miramistin, Chlorophyllipt, hydrogen peroxide, and protholol are used for the solution. Babies nose washed with saline or plain warm water.
Folk remedies against the common cold
Here are some effective recipes that you can use in the fight against the cold.
- Bow. Onion juice perfectly relieves even the most serious cold. Vegetable should be grated, squeezed juice from the pulp, and then diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 2. The prepared structure to drip in a nose in the morning and in the evening.
- Garlic. Garlic contains special phytoncides, a pair of which kill germs in the nasal passages. Garlic needs to be crushed, and it is better to turn it into mush using a meat grinder or a blender. Transfer the mass to a small container and close the lid. 5-6 times a day, you need to open a jar and inhale the smell of garlic alternately between one nostril and then the other. After a couple of days you need to take fresh pulp. It is also very effective to put garlic in the nostrils for 20-30 minutes.
- Sea buckthorn oil. It happens that after long-term treatment and the use of various drugs, the mucous membrane dries out and crusts form on it. In this case, you just need to drop a drop of sea buckthorn oil into each nostril.
- Aloe. The juice of this home plant has a powerful bactericidal property. Rinse, dry and chop the leaves. With the help of gauze pulp need to squeeze and get healing juice. Dilute it in half with water and bury it in each nostril, 2 drops in the morning and evening. Instead of aloe, you can use Kalanchoe - it has similar properties.
- Inhalation. You can make inhalations with fir oil or eucalyptus essential oil. It is necessary to add some funds to hot water, to stir and to be covered with a towel over a capacity. Inhale hot steam through the nose. This will help you not only get rid of the flow from the nose, but also help to relieve congestion and begin to breathe through the nose.
- Beets and carrots. The juice of these plants is very effective in the common cold. Carrot juice can be instilled in pure form. But beet juice should be diluted with water beforehand, otherwise it can burn the mucous.
- Honey turundochki. Dampen cotton flagella in liquid natural honey and put in the nostrils for 10-15 minutes. Honey has antibacterial properties, so it will help get rid of green snot and nasal congestion.
- Menthol oil and lemon. Menthol oil can be bought at the pharmacy. It is mixed in equal proportions with lemon juice. The composition of the need to lubricate the nasal mucosa from the inside (using cotton swabs). Menthol will relieve nasal congestion, and lemon will neutralize the viral pathogen.
Folk remedies are not only cheap and effective, but also safe. They can be used by pregnant women, people with a weakened immune system, the elderly, as well as patients with chronic diseases.
A runny nose is not just the flow of mucus from the nose. This and the inability to breathe normally through the nose, is the inability to sense your favorite smells. You should not treat a cold too scornfully. After all, if you run it, it can lead to dangerous complications. Be attentive to yourself, and then runny nose will be only a minor symptom that will pass in three days.