Pecilia is a beautiful and unusual fish. Caring for her is easy. Therefore, it may even be purchased by someone who has no experience at all in keeping aquarium fish. But, despite their unpretentiousness, nevertheless it is necessary to study some rules of their content.
Habitat in nature
This species originated from South America. They can also be found in Guatemala and Mexico. Petsyli live in both large and small water bodies. The water in them is fresh or brackish. The soil in these reservoirs is mud or consists of gravel. They have a lot of vegetation. Pezilya mostly lives in stagnant bodies of water, but sometimes it occurs in rivers that flow into the Atlantic Ocean. The most beautiful shells live near the island of Yutakan. The color of these fish is yellow-brown. There are black specks. The colorful fish that can be seen in aquariums are artificially bred species.
The second name of these fish is mollies. In European aquariums it began to breed in 1907. In Russia, the Petsilia appeared only after 50 years. To this day, this fish does not lose its popularity. Breeders deduce all new species that attract aquarists.
Pecilia has a diamond shape. It is quite tall, elongated. The head is small. The eyes are large, the fins are rounded. The male has a length of 5.5 cm. The females are somewhat larger - about 7 cm. The males have a more slender body, they have gonopodies. But on the tail they have no sword. If you follow the rules of care, Petsilia can live for about 3 years.
Today there are about 130 different colors of this fish.
33 species belong to the genus. In addition, there are many hybrid forms. They vary in shape and color. Consider several varieties.
- Multicolor. Their colors cast all colors. The males are yellowish in front, the back part is blue. On the sides there are dark spots. Fins have a yellow-red color. The females are darker. They have olive, gray or other colors. On the sides they have a zigzag pattern in red.
- Black. In this case, the scales can cast in green or blue.
- Berlin has a beautiful scarlet color.
In addition, there are types of red, blue, gold, etc.
Petsilia may also have different body and fins. On this basis, they are divided into the following varieties.
- Radishes These fish have an unusual shape fin.
- Cylinders. These petilia have swollen body. This feature is due to the fact that they are obtained by crossing individuals with a short spine. Fry have spine of normal shape and length. And when the fish matures - it is deformed.
- Sailing. This species is much larger than the usual petilia. The fish have a very large dorsal fin.
Who can you settle with?
These fish are generally distinguished by their friendliness. They can be in the same aquarium and with representatives of their own species, and with other fish. But it is better if their neighbors are the same peaceful and tranquil species that require the same living conditions.
In terms of compatibility with the patchilia, all fish can be divided into several groups.
- It will get along very well with scalar, guppy, gurus and barbs.
- With acne they have average compatibility.
- You should not settle these fish with aggressive predators. For example, cichlids, astronotus, etc.
Content in an aquarium
These fish are unpretentious. They can live in water at different temperatures. But to make the fish as comfortable as possible, the following conditions should be observed.
- The aquarium may be small, but it is desirable that it was sufficiently deep. This is due to the fact that placids in nature are used to living in the middle layer. Each fish should have at least about 2 liters of water. Some contain these fish even in 10-liter cans. But it is better that it was an aquarium, the volume of which is at least 50 liters. The fish there will be much more comfortable, in addition, the aquarium can be made very beautiful by installing decorative elements there. In a spacious "house", the guests will have a place to play. It is important that the aquarium has a lid. There is a chance that the fish, playing, will jump out of the aquarium and die.
- The most comfortable representatives of this species will feel in the water 22-25 degrees.
- To date, there are disputes among aquariums whether it is necessary to add some salt water for them. Many are addicted to it. But you really can't do it too often. Salt will be an excellent tool if you need to cure the weak and sick fish. If you constantly add salt to the water, the fish will lose their stamina. Will be subject to various diseases. Moreover, aquarists who have no experience will not be able to maintain the correct level of salt in the water.
- A quarter of the water needs to be updated weekly. Optionally, you can install a filter. But the petilia can live without it.
- To provide lighting in a small aquarium - you can put a low-power light bulb or use sunlight.
- It is advisable to choose the soil of a dark color. Planted plants should be planted in the aquarium, as well as providing more space for shelters. Of the algae are perfect echinodorus, elodey, as well as rogule and others. Algae need to sit back and sides. From the front, the space should be visible.
Feed these fish need a good and varied. Only in this way they will have a beautiful color, will remain active. You can feed them with bloodworms, daphnia. Food can be of any kind - live, frozen, dry. Since the fish are small, then the feed should be quite small. Otherwise, the fish may choke. Feed should be given so much that they ate it at a time. Otherwise, the remaining food will disappear, causing the water to deteriorate quickly. This can lead to illnesses. Sometimes for a change you can give a salad and various algae.
Pecilia is a viviparous fish. The entire period of gestation usually lasts 28-40 days. However, they can spawn not once a year. One female gives birth to 30-80 fry. They are going to a flock and are near the surface, because at first they are very shy. For fry there is no need to buy a special feed. From the first days they can eat the same as adult fish. Aquarists breed these fish in several ways.
The first, the method described by us, is used more often than others. Petsyli from the aquarium deposited in a special spawning. Of all the fry born, the best are selected. The rest is recycled.
The second method is self-seeding. In this case, the fish remain in the general aquarium. But with this method it is very important to ensure that the neighbors in the aquarium do not destroy the fry. This method should not be used if swordtails are side by side in the aquarium. If you have guppies in the aquarium, except for the pets, you should also be careful. And in the case of the Cardinals, there is no cause for concern.
These methods are quite effective. But they are suitable only for those who do not set a goal to bring individuals with an original look and color. To get these fish - use the third method.
The third way: the fish are seated in several aquariums of 20 liters each. In each aquarium, the number of females should exceed the number of males. In addition, you will need another 2 aquariums of 50 liters and 2 liters of 100 liters each. In these aquariums fry are settled, which are divided by sex and color.
In general, they are quite hardy, but they can get sick due to the low temperature of water or bacteria. They can enter the tank with water or feed. The fish may begin to rot fins, develop a fungus or infection. To the remaining individuals do not get sick, patients should be deposited at the time of treatment. They should be kept in warmer water. Water should be salted.
A very unusual feature of these fish is that the female can change her gender. This may occur due to non-compliance with the conditions of detention. In addition, if placilia are in an aquarium with swordtails, then they can interbreed with them and degenerate.
If you do not have the experience, but really want to have an aquarium, then the Petsilia will be perfect for you.