If you constantly feel discomfort in the heels - this is a serious reason to think about your health, because this symptom often signals the presence of any diseases. In order to return good health, it is important not only to eliminate the pain, but also to find out the cause of their occurrence.
Causes of heel pain
A feeling of discomfort can be caused by a variety of factors:
- Sports activities. Pain in the heel area sometimes occurs after jogging or other physical exercises that involve strong exertion.
- Injuries. Bruises, sprains, fractures or any other types of damage can lead to acute pain. In this case, you must immediately contact a traumatologist. In order to avoid unpleasant consequences, it is better not to step on a bad leg.
- Unsuitable shoes. If you used to go only in heels, and then began to wear shoes with a flat sole, this can adversely affect the health of your feet.
- Excess weight. Due to overweight, the load on the feet increases, as a result of which a person experiences severe pain in the process of walking.
- Arthritis. Inflammation of the tissue connecting the heel bone and the fingers can lead to discomfort, which will gradually increase. Especially intense with this disease, pain manifests itself in the morning.
- Fasciitis sole. Close inconvenient shoes or daily long standing on legs can provoke pathology. As a result, they form an outgrowth, putting pressure on the tissue and causing a feeling of discomfort, which is most strongly felt after sleep.
- Heel spur. If fasciitis is not cured in time, bone formation may appear on the surface of the heel, which will lead to severe painful sensations that will often occur in the morning.
- Inflammation or rupture of the Achilles tendon. Injury may occur as a result of intense physical exertion, or, for example, with an unsuccessful jump.
- Infections. Inflammation of the tendon can be caused by infectious diseases, such as chlamydia. The disease is accompanied by constant pain, which in the evening becomes even stronger.
- Malignant tumors. In the presence of tumors on the feet, there is a compression of the vessels and nerve endings, which in turn causes chronic pain.
- Cracks on the heels, resulting from dermatitis, mycosis or any other disease.
How to get rid of heel pain
In order to eliminate the discomfort, you first need to determine the cause of their occurrence by contacting a rheumatologist, a traumatologist or a dermatologist. Treatment can be carried out in various ways, it is appointed only after a full diagnostic examination, including blood tests, x-rays and ultrasound.
If there are cracks on the heels, it is necessary to make an appointment with a dermatologist, if it turns out that they are affected by a fungus, he will prescribe an appropriate treatment. This problem can also be caused by increased dryness of the skin. To get rid of cracks, it is recommended to daily lubricate the legs with a cream and remove the keratinized areas with the pedicure tools.
If the cause of discomfort was uncomfortable shoes, it is recommended to purchase products with a comfortable shoe that does not give a large load on the heel. From time to time, shoes should be removed so that the feet can rest.
For the treatment of heel spurs it is necessary to take comprehensive measures:
- getting rid of excess body weight;
- physiotherapy (mineral baths, ultrasound, mud applications);
- use of orthopedic insoles;
- reducing the load on the foot;
- drug treatment;
- surgical removal of bone growth (in especially serious cases).
In the presence of inflammatory processes caused by infectious diseases or diseases of the joints, medications are used, which are prescribed to the patient by the doctor.
To alleviate the condition of plantar fasciitis, it is possible, by reducing physical activity, for example, by abandoning sports such as walking or running. In addition, it is recommended to do special exercises every morning:
- Put a rolling pin under your feet, take a sitting position and for several minutes roll it with the help of a step. In order to achieve the desired effect, repeat the procedure daily several times.
The cause of discomfort is often associated with low mobility of the gastrocnemius muscles. You can get rid of an unpleasant symptom with the help of the following exercise:
- Stand near the wall, put your palms on it, straighten your right leg and step forward with your left. Then lean to the wall, remaining in this position for half a minute. After that, repeat all the actions, changing legs.
How to quickly get rid of heel pain
The following methods will help alleviate the condition:
- If there are no medical contraindications, take ice, attach it to your feet, and then rub them. This procedure is recommended to be performed daily once, for twenty minutes.
- It is possible to get rid of painful sensations by steaming the legs in a basin with warm water.
- Painkillers that contain ibuprofen in their composition have a quick effect. However, before you start taking them, you should consult with your doctor.
- Heel pain relieves anti-inflammatory ointments (butadiene, indomethacin) well.
Treatment of heel pain at home
You can get rid of the problem using proven folk remedies:
- Grate raw potatoes, attach it to your leg and wrap it on top with plastic. This recipe allows you to quickly relieve pain.
- Get rid of heel spurs well plantain helps. Attach the sheet to the sore spot, and as soon as it dries, replace it with a new one. After this procedure, you may experience severe pain, but in the future, you can forget about the existence of bone growths.
- For treatment, black radish is well suited, it needs to be finely rubbed, attached to the heel and wrap with polyethylene. In the morning, puree must be washed off with warm water.
- If there is a “Triple Cologne” at home, it can be heated in an enamelled container and then steamed in it.
- Garlic has a wonderful healing effect, mash it and apply to the heel for four hours. Daily making such compresses, you can soon get rid of the feeling of discomfort.
- Crush two tablets of aspirin, mix them with a spoon of 3% iodine, apply the composition on cotton wool, and then apply it to the sore spot, wrap with plastic wrap and a warm towel. Repeat this procedure at least three times a day.
Using the popular recipes, you will be able to get rid of the painful sensations at home, but before you begin treatment, you need to first consult with a specialist.
How to avoid heel pain
In order to maintain good health, you must be attentive to your health and carry out preventive measures to avoid the development of serious problems.
- Excess weight often becomes the cause of increased load on the feet, so it needs to be maintained normal, while monitoring the diet of your diet. Particular preference is recommended to give protein and plant foods, as the pain in the heel often provoke inflammatory processes resulting from metabolic disorders.
- You can avoid overstraining your feet by buying comfortable shoes with a low heel that will allow you to evenly distribute the load.
- Orthopedic insoles will help protect the heel, thanks to which ligaments of the feet and muscles are supported.
- As a preventive measure, you can perform special exercises every day to prevent foot diseases.
In order to solve the problem, it is necessary to apply complex measures. The treatment may take several months, however, taking care of your health and following all the recommendations of the doctors, you will eventually be able to completely get rid of the sensations that disturb you.