Horseradish is considered to be a storehouse of useful enzymes. The root of the plant is characterized by intense aroma, which "hits" right in the nose. Many people love horseradish for a sweet aftertaste, which subsequently becomes burning. Grated horseradish root is added to the first and second courses, many prefer to use the sauce along with a slice of baguette. As part of horseradish contains a lot of vitamins, this includes rare groups of PP, B, A, D, amino acids. To enjoy all the useful properties, consider the important aspects and basic recipes for cooking horseradish at home.
Cooking horseradish: important features
It is easy to cook horseradish at home, if you observe important aspects. Take care in advance of the presence of the plant root and its preparation.
- Raw materials are dug out in late October or early November. As a rule, horseradish grows to 35-40 cm, in some cases more. The diameter of the plant reaches 3-5 cm. It is these characteristics that indicate that the root is suitable for pickling.
- To horseradish retained its properties after harvest and did not erode, place the root in a cool place with sufficient moisture. Take a certain amount of the composition as needed, without violating storage conditions.
- Not many people know that horseradish retains useful qualities and characteristic urgency only during the first month. This feature is achieved completely natural composition. To increase the effect, you have to use chemicals.
- Take the habit of cooking pickled horseradish in small portions. Do not stock up on the product for future use. After combining all the ingredients move the canned composition into a container or jar, store in the cold.
- Even when the roots are kept in a damp room, they dry up anyway. For this reason, before you start cooking, wash the roots, then soak them in cold water. Change fluid daily 2 times. The duration of soaking is 3-7 days.
- When horseradish becomes soft and swells a little, remove and peel it. Grate with a very small section or use a combine / blender / meat grinder. Get ready for the process to be unpleasant. Horseradish will burn throat, nose, eyes.
- To avoid burns, wear rubber gloves when handling horseradish. Protect the airways with a medical mask and eyes with glasses. To shredded horseradish did not begin to darken, it is sprayed with table vinegar (concentration 6%) or lemon juice.
- Before preparing the horseradish-based seasoning, place the root of the plant in the freezer for half an hour. Such a move will relieve you of the difficulties with well-being, which usually arise when working with a healthy composition.
- If after cooking seasoning you still have the roots of horseradish, try to increase their shelf life. Prepare a container for microwave or food, fill it with water, put the plants inside. Change fluid every day.
- Table vinegar solution (9%) - 145 ml.
- horseradish root - 385 gr.
- granulated sugar - 25 gr.
- table salt - 35 gr.
- beet juice - 60 ml.
- drinking water - 180 ml.
- Soak the roots of the plant in water according to the general rules. After that, wash the horseradish well with a table sponge, remove the peel, wipe it with a grater. Pour boiling water over the composition, wait 5 minutes.
- After that, add sugar, salt, wait until cool (about 40 minutes). Squeeze the beet juice to get 2 tablespoons of the composition.
- Mix beet juice with vinegar, pour a lot in soaked horseradish. No need to pour out the cooled water, it serves as a brine for long-term storage.
- horseradish root - 500 gr.
- fresh tomatoes - 2.8 kg.
- garlic - 200 gr.
- salt - 85 gr.
- sugar - 80 gr.
- Peel the roots of horseradish peel, soak in ice water, leave for 4 hours. After that, chop the product into equal pieces, grind in a blender or mince. You can use the float, see on your own.
- Wash the tomatoes, make a cross-shaped incision on each tomato, scald it with boiling water. Wait 1 minute, peel and remove the stem. Scroll the tomatoes in a meat grinder 2 times, mix with garlic, passed through a press.
- Combine all the components into a homogeneous mass, whisk again with a blender. Salt, sweeten, add ground pepper and bay leaf as desired. Prepack the finished composition in sterilized glass containers.
- Store in the refrigerator for no longer than two months in the case I rolled up the composition, and about 30 days for the products covered with a lid. If possible, eat horseradish in the first two weeks so that it does not lose its beneficial properties.
Horseradish with cinnamon
- filtered water - 480 ml.
- Table vinegar (9%) - 55 gr.
- horseradish root - 600 gr.
- sugar (brown is better) - 45 gr.
- table salt - 25 gr.
- Carnation - 4 buds
- cinnamon - to taste
- Wash horseradish with a kitchen sponge, peel and rub with a small grater (you can grind it in a blender or meat grinder). Prepare a sterile glass container, pack it horseradish.
- In another bowl, mix the sugar and salt, and fill with filtered water. Pour the composition into the pan, put on the fire and bring to the appearance of the first bubbles.
- When the granules are completely dissolved, add the buds of the cloves and boil the mixture for 3 minutes. Cover the container with a lid, let the solution cool at room temperature.
- When the mixture has cooled to 55 degrees, pass it through the filter, add cinnamon. Pour in vinegar, cork and wait 20 hours. After that, pour horseradish with a solution, roll up the banks, transfer to the cellar.
- olive oil - 40 ml.
- green apple varieties - 1 pc. large size
- meat broth (pork-beef) - 135 ml.
- horseradish (root) - 110 gr.
- apple vinegar - 40 ml.
- fresh parsley - 1 bunch
- sugar - to taste
- salt - to taste
- Wash horseradish, peel it off. Do the same with the apple: remove the stem and seeds. Spread the products to homogeneity by passing them through a blender or grater.
- Wash a bunch of parsley, chop it, pour in vinegar and chicken broth. Combine all the ingredients, add olive oil, sugar, salt, leave the mixture to infuse for 3 hours.
- Apple seasoning is notable for its mild composition, for this reason people like it with diseases of the digestive tract. The sauce turns out fragrant, not very spicy, pleasant to taste.
- Serve the apple seasoning in small saucepans. Decorate with a leaf of fresh parsley or dill. Some housewives prefer to add ground olives to the above composition.
Horseradish with sour cream
- horseradish root - 285 gr.
- sugar - 25 gr.
- sour cream - 190-200 gr.
- fresh dill - 20 gr.
- fresh parsley - 10-15 gr.
- The recipe is designed for a category of citizens who do not tolerate too hot horseradish sauce. Spray the roots of the plant with water, remove the dirt with a sponge, remove the peel.
- Pass horseradish through a meat grinder or blender to get gruel. Add chilled sour cream of high fat content (from 25% and more), mix, put in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- During this period, wash and completely dry the dill with parsley, mix the herbs with the sugar. If desired, add 3 cloves of garlic, passed through a press.
- Remove the horseradish from the refrigerator, mix with other components, roll into jars. The storage time in the cellar is 20 days, if possible use the product faster.
- horseradish root - 300 gr.
- honey (can be replaced with cane sugar) - to taste
- salt - to taste
- lemon peel (fresh) - 45 gr.
- sour cream - in fact
- Rinse the horseradish root, peel off the skin with a knife, rub on a grater to make thin plates (as in the case of pickled ginger).
- Prepare glass jars of small size, sterilize them, fill 3 cm. With ice-cold filtered water. Put shredded horseradish into the cavity, add sugar and salt.
- Cap the lids, shake each container so that the mixture is mixed. Grate lemon rind on a grater, pour citrus juice into the composition (quantity at discretion).
- Leave the hell to infuse in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Before serving, lubricate the product with sour cream to give the product a creamy taste. Use within a week, otherwise horseradish will lose useful properties.
- To make a snack rich, store the finished product in glass jars. If possible, wrap containers in a dark package, preventing light from entering.
- Harvest is stored in wooden containers with sand. In this case, the roots are arranged in such a way as to completely exclude their contact with each other. Once a week it is necessary to water the composition with drinking water.
- Traditionally horseradish is consumed with meat dishes (pork, beef, lamb). Seasoning also serves as an excellent complement to brawn, smoked fish, mince pies, jelly, knuckle, sturgeon and pork fillets.
Cook horseradish at home is quite simple. Consider cooking recipes with the addition of tomatoes, cinnamon, greasy sour cream, vinegar, green apples. Add your favorite seasonings, lemon zest, fresh herbs. Serve pickled horseradish root to meat and fish dishes, aspic.