High temperatures in a child cause panic in his parents. Initially, they only think about how to reduce it to a standard, thereby saving their child from suffering and illness. However, not many parents know what the temperature is, what is normal for a child, how it can change throughout the day.
Not only mothers and fathers of different ages, but also professionals from the field of pediatrics argue about the factors of temperature increase in children, its role in the period of the disease and methods of its reduction. Doctors say that fever is effective in combating viruses and germs that cause colds and infections. Besides? it is a symptom of the presence of inflammation in the human body. To reduce it or not worth it - can only determine a specialist.
The body’s central nervous system is responsible for controlling body temperature. High fever is a symptom, not a separate disease. Fever can be of two types:
- Infectious. It occurs when microbes and viruses enter the body.
- Non-infectious. A large number of causes affect its appearance, these include endocrine diseases, neuroses, high physical and psychological stress, and a number of others.
In babies, the temperature can be a signal for teething. Also, high temperatures can cause grafting. In this case, it is only the body’s response to it.
It is important to know! If after vaccination the temperature is moderate, then it cannot be lowered.
If the thermometer shows 38 ° or more, then means from reducing the heat may be useful. For babies, the temperature is considered to be 38.5 °, and if the thermometer shows a value of 37.5 ° -38 ° for a few days in a child, then the baby needs the help of a doctor.
What temperature should be reduced?
Many doctors do not recommend lowering the temperature if the reading on the thermometer is less than 38.5 °. However, there are exceptional cases:
- Newborn babies. They have a disease characterized by rapid growth and sharp deterioration of health.
- If at high temperature the child already had cramps and convulsions.
- With a deterioration in health: there was a chill, anemia, the skin becomes bluish, legs and hands are cold.
- If the child suffers from diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- At high temperatures, the baby loses consciousness.
- The baby has a pathology in the functioning of certain organs and systems.
- With increasing temperature, diarrhea and gag reflex appear.
What temperature should be lowered to babies up to a year
According to experts, newborns do not lower the temperature below 38-39 ° with the help of medicines. Here the main guideline for moms and dads should be the behavior of the child.
What should be done if:
- The thermometer reads 37 °, and the child has a great mood, he eats well, no problems with the chair - no need to worry. Due to the fact that the baby’s thermoregulation process is not yet stable, a temperature of 37.5 ° is normal for him if she does not hold for several days.
- On the thermometer 38 °. This is an indication that the child’s immunity is trying to overcome the infection. Most often, the kids tolerate it normally, they are active, they play, they have a good appetite, and their limbs are warm. During this period it is necessary to give them as much liquid as possible. If the child does not express symptoms of anxiety, then his parents do not need to worry. The little ones cannot yet consciously hide their state of health and, in a bad state, will demonstrate this.
- On the thermometer, the mark has reached 39 ° - it is necessary to take drugs to reduce the heat and call a specialist in the house. This temperature can cause cramps and cramps in a baby. The child becomes lethargic, begins to cry, does not eat anything, breathes heavily.
What temperature should be lowered to young children
A high temperature in infections allows the body to activate the process of interferon compounds, antibodies, leukocytes come into activity, in addition, overheating itself is dangerous for the body. Because of this, it is not necessary to lower the high temperature, and preparations to reduce fever should be taken only in certain situations, with a deterioration of the condition and with very high thermometer readings.
In young children and schoolchildren, the temperature is knocked down if it is more than 38.5 °, but in a weak child and a child with developmental disabilities it is necessary to lower the temperature when the thermometer reads 37.8 °.
Fact! High temperature threatens with changes in the work of the heart, and if the mark on the thermometer reaches 41 ° or more, then most people begin to have irreversible processes in the body, particularly in the brain.
If there are convulsions, migraine, pain in the sternum, hallucinations, then you need to immediately lower the temperature. The dose of the drug should be the smallest, a significant change in temperature can be dangerous for the body.
How to lower the temperature
The use of medications is not only beneficial, but can also have a negative effect on the human body. Moms and dads can try to reduce the temperature of certain non-medical methods.
What to do when the heat:
- Contrary to the recommendations of the grandmothers do not need to warm the child, put in the room another heater. On the contrary, it is necessary to create a coolness, otherwise it is possible to provoke a heat stroke in a child. The room should be no more than 21 ° C. Receiving air baths perfectly helps babies, gives them the opportunity to quickly return to normal body temperature.
- Water, drinks, compotes, tinctures. The child needs to drink as much as possible. Babies who are breastfed need as much breast milk as possible. You can make a hot drink from the berries of lingonberry, viburnum, currant and others that are at home. The drink should be consumed warm, you can add a spoonful of sugar to it, so that it does not sour. Give the child a glass of fruit drink, then put it in bed and wrap it in a blanket. So he sweats and the temperature drops.
- Older children are allowed to wrap in a wet sheet, and the kids just wipe with a wet sponge.
- If a child has chills, cold hands and feet, pale skin, you need to rub it with a dry towel, cover and give cold drink.
- If the baby has a high temperature (the mark on the thermometer shows 39 ° or more), then it is necessary to act quickly but carefully so as not to harm him. You can soak a towel in 9% vinegar and put it on your baby's forehead, wipe the limbs, neck and chest with another piece of cloth. If the child is still too small, then vinegar can be replaced with plain water at room temperature.
- We need to take measures to strengthen the immune system of the baby. To do this, clean and cut 2 onions and place them in the room where the child is.
- It is necessary to control the child’s chair, it should be emptied more often.
- Also caress the child's throat with chamomile tincture or soda solution.
- If the baby does not want to eat, try to persuade him to eat a little chicken broth with a piece of bread. You can give a child a meal of garlic or onion while eating. This will strengthen its immunity.
If these actions do not help, or the baby has a very high temperature, then medications should be taken.
Medications at high temperature
- Paracetamol. H reduces the temperature and relieves pain symptom. Children up to 6 years old can take it for no more than 3 days, after 6 years - no more than 5 days.
- Ibuprofen The drug relieves pain, reduces temperature, eliminates inflammation. It can not be taken to newborn children. There are no clear contraindications for the duration of the reception, if necessary, the doctor may prescribe the drug for a period of more than 5 days.
These two drugs are allowed to give three times a day, but only at high temperatures.
You can use any immunostimulant, which can be purchased at the pharmacy. For example, the Arbidol preparation will perfectly reduce the temperature of 39 ° for a baby at home. It will perfectly remove the heat and at the same time the drug "Acetinomin" is absolutely safe for the child.
For babies whose t is elevated due to the fact that teeth are being cut or after vaccination, if necessary, you can put homeopathic candles "Viburcol".
Important! Doctors do not advise giving the child "Analgin", as it can cause the strongest side effects. In many countries, this drug is forbidden to use, or it is used only under the supervision of a specialist in a hospital.
Medication and measures to reduce the heat should be carried out very carefully. If the mother is worried about the condition of the baby, then it is better to seek help from a doctor.
If the temperature lasts for several days and does not decrease, then it is necessary to consult a doctor, and not to engage in treatment yourself. The doctor will examine the child, conduct an examination, determine the diagnosis and prescribe the necessary medical therapy by prescribing certain drugs to reduce fever and antibiotics.
Now you know how to lower the temperature of the baby. You need to remember that self-medication can be dangerous for your child. The field of how you brought down the heat, be sure to contact a specialist and determine the cause of the temperature increase.