Blueberry jam is often used as a snack for tea, a delicacy is also used for filling pies and pastries. The main ingredients are berries and sugar syrup, enveloping them. Experienced housewives have developed their own recipes with the addition of raspberries, strawberries, lemon juice and other ingredients. To enjoy the blueberry jam in the winter, you need to make blanks. Consider the basic aspects, we give practical recommendations.
Features cooking blueberry jam
- Blueberries are characterized by excessive softness and a large amount of juice contained. For this reason, be responsible for harvesting, spend it in dry weather. Next, proceed to sorting. Immediately exclude spoiled, immature, overripe, rotten specimens.
- Jam is made from ripe berries. In case of overripe fruits, the composition becomes like a jam. If we talk about green fruits, they distort the taste and give bitterness. Bilberry belongs to the highly colored berries, for this reason, prior to cooking, sort the gloves.
- Wash the fruit before direct heat treatment. To do this, move them to a sieve or a colander, dip in a basin with cold (preferably ice-cold) water, leave for 10 minutes. You can carry out the procedure by placing blueberries in a colander, then pour water from the shower head.
- To preserve the structure of the berries during the cooking process, pour the sugar into the fruit and allow it to stand for at least 2 hours. During this period they will give the juice, you can cook the jam without sacrificing quality. If the goal is to make jam-jam (the composition of a homogeneous structure), before cooking, chop the blueberries with a blender or pestle for potatoes.
- Not many people know that jam is not only a sweet snack for tea, but also a storehouse of useful enzymes. Save vitamins will help short (!) Heat treatment. Moderately ripe blueberries have an optimal sweetness, so do not abuse sugar. Per 1 kg fruits account for about 450-500 grams. sand. In other cases, sugar is added to taste.
Preparation of cans for preserving blueberry jam
- Before you start cooking jam, you must sterilize and dry the container, which will be rolled composition. The same applies to the lids; they will need to be washed and dried.
- To properly conduct the procedure, inspect the banks for the absence of cracks, unevenness of the bottom or walls. Otherwise, discard tare with defects.
- After you have selected the cans, wash them with running water and plenty of baking soda. Next comes direct sterilization. You can perform it using the oven, stove (water or steam bath), microwave.
- If you plan to sterilize the seam with a steam bath, use the following instructions. Take a wide pan, put the lids in it and pour boiling water over it. From above set the grid, put the banks. Bring the liquid until the first bubbles appear, boil for 15 minutes. Lower the containers on the towel neck down, dry.
- If we talk about sterilization in an electric oven, the technology does not present any particular difficulties. Wash, dry the container, put the jars and lids on the grill. Turn on the device by 50 degrees, gradually increase the power every 5 minutes. You should smoothly reach a temperature of 110 degrees, then warm up the dishes with such indicators for 15 minutes.
- You can sterilize jars in the microwave. To do this, pour water into them so that the volume reaches 1/3. Set the power of 800 W, warm up the dishes for 4 minutes. Periodically pause the instrument and shake the water in cans. After the procedure, dry the container with a towel.
- In cases with a water bath, sterilization becomes possible if the jam is rolled into 0.3-0.5 l cans. Line the bottom of the pan with a towel, pour water, lower the banks inside. Boil the container for a quarter of an hour, do not let the cans float to the surface.
Blueberry Jam: A Classic Recipe
- blueberries - 1.3 kg.
- water - 400 ml.
- sugar - 860 gr.
- Go through the berries, eliminate all unnecessary (spoiled, immature, crumpled specimens). Wash the blueberries in a bowl of cold water, drain the garbage. Try to perform manipulations in such a way as not to mash the berries.
- After the procedure, fold the fruit on a sieve, rinse under the shower, leave to dry for a quarter of an hour. Pick up a thick-bottomed saucepan, pour water into it, pour in granulated sugar. Set the burner to medium power, wait for the crystals to dissolve.
- When the sugar has melted, simmer for 7 minutes. Next, strain the liquid through gauze or colander, excluding foreign tumors. The end result is a clear syrup.
- After straining, pour it into the pan, wait until bubbles appear again. When this happens, add berries, stir with a wooden spoon to thoroughly soak. Set the minimum heat, bring the blueberries to a boil.
- Periodically remove the foam using a skimmer, simmer for 10 minutes after boiling. Next, increase the power to the average mark, torment the product for half an hour. Prepare a flat dry dish, drip jam on it.
- After the composition has cooled, it should spread in different directions. This sign indicates the readiness of jam. Proceed to seaming the product, the procedure can be performed in several ways.
- The first one says that hot delicacy is bottled in pre-sterilized containers. Then the composition is aged in open form until it cools completely, only after that can capping be done.
- In the case of the cold spin method, the cooled jam is poured into sterile containers, then covered with plastic lids and wrapped in parchment paper. Regardless of the twist method, the snack is kept cold.
Blueberry raspberry jam
- blueberries - 850 gr.
- raspberry - 2.6 kg.
- granulated sugar - 550 gr.
- drinking water - 300 ml.
- To get started, make the preparation of blueberries and raspberries. Pre-sort the fruits, exclude rumpled and spoiled. Send the berries in a deep bowl, cover with water, rinse thoroughly.
- Dry the fruits, fold them in a colander, leave until the liquid is completely drained. In a separate bowl, prepare the syrup from sugar and filtered water: mix the components together, put them on the stove, wait for the crystals to dissolve.
- After boiling, cook the mixture for another 5 minutes, then pour the washed and dried berries into the pan. Cover with a lid, wait until the blueberry juice (about 3.5-4 hours). After the allotted time, put the tank on fire.
- Set the burner to medium power, wait until the first bubbles appear, boil the berries for about 1 hour. Constantly remove the foam skimmer. While the jam is stewing, do the sterilization of the cans. Then pour the hot mixture over them, leave for 6-8 hours before cooling.
- Seal a container with covers using a special key. Turn the container face down, make sure there are no leaks. After 20 hours, take the jam to a place of long-term storage.
Blueberry jam without cooking
- granulated sugar - 1.8 kg.
- ripe blueberries - 1.2 kg.
- If you plan to cook the jam without cooking, use overripe fruit. They will provide the necessary consistency. Pre-rinse the berries in a bowl of cold water, eliminate sprigs and debris.
- Leave the berries to dry in a colander or sieve (about 10 minutes long). After washing, combine the fruit with sugar, turn the product into a porridge in a convenient way (pestle, blender, meat grinder, fork).
- Sterilize the cans, package the product, cork the nylon covers. The method of cooking blueberry jam without cooking is bad because the composition can not be left for a long time. The finished product must be consumed within a month, preferably earlier.
Blueberry jam with rum
- honey - 380 gr.
- strawberries - 250 gr.
- rum (brandy, whiskey, brandy) - 30 gr.
- blueberries - 330 gr.
- raspberry - 225 gr.
- black currant - 230 gr.
- Prepare the berries beforehand, rinse them under the tap, and leave for 5 minutes in a basin of cold water. Remove all rubbish, move blueberries, strawberries, currants, raspberries to a cotton towel or leave on a sieve to dry.
- After that, put the berries in a thick-walled pot, mash with a pestle or chop with a blender / meat grinder. Add honey, mix, leave for 1.5 hours, during this period juice will stand out.
- After the allotted time, put the heat-resistant dishes with the composition on the stove, turn on the device to the minimum capacity. Boil the berry mixture for 30-40 minutes, be sure to remove the foam with a slotted spoon.
- When cooking is over, turn off the burner, pour in the alcohol, stir until smooth. Sterilize and dry containers, immediately pack up the finished product. Roll the composition of tin roofs, take it to the cellar after cooling down completely.
Thick blueberry jam
- blueberries - 1.5 kg.
- sugar sand - 1.3 kg.
- lemon juice - 30 ml.
- Citrus juice serves to thicken the jam, replace it with citric acid if desired. The main thing is to dilute 5 gr. composition 40 ml. warm water, wait for the crystals to dissolve, then pour into the total mass.
- Rinse the blueberries in a bowl of cold water, move them into a colander and leave until the liquid is completely drained. Then sprinkle the fruit with sugar, send in the refrigerator for 20 hours.
- Prepare heat-resistant dishes, pour the juice from the blueberries and the berries themselves. Pour in diluted citric acid or citrus fruit juice, mix with a wooden spatula.
- Put the container with the composition on the stove, languish until the first bubbles appear. As soon as this happens, note the time, turn off the burner after 20 minutes. Throughout cooking, remove the foam with a slotted spoon.
- Scald lids with cans of boiling water 3-5 times, dry, pour hot jam into containers. Leave at a temperature of 22-23 degrees until cool, then roll up the key. Transfer to cold for long-term storage.
Cooking blueberry jam on your own does not present any particular difficulties if you follow the practical recommendations. Cook a delicacy according to the classical technology, consider recipes with the addition of honey, lemon juice, as well as other berries (raspberries, currants, blackberries, etc.).