Not many people, including dog breeders, have heard of such a breed as a Japanese terrier. There is nothing surprising. The represented individuals, even in their homeland, do not have a high number. The main distinguishing features of these terriers from themselves are the color, as well as obstinate temper and fearlessness. At the same time, dogs can be affectionate and sociable, if properly trained. If these representatives of the breed are so good, why not everyone tries to bring them into the house? We analyze the main aspects.
Dogs are suitable for service, they are often taken with them to hunt. Pets are very hardy, walk with a man to a waterfowl or small game. Excellent service characteristics due to good health and the desire to help.
It is noteworthy that in the process of breeding a species, breeders did not set themselves the task of getting a working horse. They wanted to bring out a convivial decorative-looking dog, so that the pet would travel everywhere with the owner.
Otherwise, the dog of the breed is called nykhon. By this is meant a miniature individual with a harmonious body and sturdy muscles. The coat is short. If the animal participates in exhibitions, experts evaluate the complexity of the body. By the nature of the dog is active, cheerful and sincere.
By generally accepted standards, you can highlight the main characteristics that are evaluated at trade shows. This data should not be blurry, everything is clear.
- The head is medium in size, the frontal part is narrow and flat. The cheekbones are compacted, the transition from the frontal part to the face is mild. It is rather smooth. The bridge of nose is straight, ends with a mobile nose with a lobe pigmented with black color.
- The eyes have an oval shape, medium in size, brownish iris. Teeth white, bite regular, scissor. Lips adhere to jaws, teeth do not stick out.
- The ears are set high, their structure is thin and small. The format of the triangle, fall into the front of the head. By standards it is allowed that the ears have folds or are located near the cheekbones.
- The neck is not long, but not short, but rather medium. Muscled, strong, extending from the head to the shoulders. It is covered with skin that does not form folds or wrinkles.
- Withers clearly visible, it is considered high, gently flows into a flat and pumped back. The croup is sloping, the loin is seen. Sternum moderately deep, but not wide enough. The ribs are rounded and developed. The groin is matched; the line of the abdomen is distinctly developed.
- The forearms are straight in their format, the shoulders are arranged with a certain obliquity. The skeleton is not massive, the dog looks thin. Hips long, knees and hock joints expressed normally. The legs themselves are collected in a ball, the pillows are fleshy, hard, the claws are black or so.
- In their movements the dogs are fast, as if springing when walking or running. Wool is strictly short, long coat is not allowed. The same can be said about a snack or overshot (vices).
- For good reason representatives of this breed are considered excellent companions. For these tasks they are endowed with all the qualities. Dogs are active, so they need a host with the appropriate temperament. Dogs will be excellent companions for jogging and long walks. At the same time, the dog is endowed with modesty, it will not be imposed, waiting for attention.
- If we take into account the numerous reviews, it is worth saying the following. Dogs of this breed are called lively for their ability to cheer up everyone around. Nihon is ideal for life in a large family, but will choose one owner and will obey him in everything. Companion traits appear already at an early age.
- Despite their rather modest size, Japanese terriers are not cowardly. In some situations, they show unwarranted fearlessness, for example, when attacking larger dogs, protecting the owner.
- To prevent clashes, the animal is socialized early and taught not to throw at big relatives. Otherwise, injuries can not be avoided. The dog will be considered a threat if the person is actively gesticulating or loudly speaking.
- Japanese dogs are not suitable for keeping people who do not like loud barking. Terriers show their emotions, bark. The animal can stand at the door, furiously cursing at passers-by. The same goes for outdoor behavior. Many owners say that weaning the dog from this habit will not work.
Training and education
- The individuals of the breed in question are distinguished by high intelligence. Therefore, it is a pleasure to train such dogs. They are given a basic program without any problems. In addition, you can teach your pet difficult tricks. It should be noted that the training will occur as fruitfully as possible.
- In this case, the master is required only patience. Also, the dog should be treated with all respect. At the same time softness on your part is forbidden. During the lessons in your voice should feel hardness. It is strictly forbidden to resort to physical impact, rudeness and sharpness.
- The animal is intelligent enough and always understands the change in intonation. Therefore, as a punishment the dog should utter a couple of strict phrases. The dog reacts sharply to a change in the mood of his master. Do not forget about the promotion of the animal for successful training. For this it will be enough favorite treats and affection.
- To establish the most friendly and trusting relationship with your pet, it is recommended to come up with joint games. Such terriers belong to hardy dogs, but the monotonous execution of commands they can still get bored. Therefore, take regular breaks and play with your pet.
- Japanese terriers do not need special care, so they are considered completely unpretentious. Even a novice can handle such a dog. The only thing that should be noted, the pet needs constant attention. To do this, systematically enough to play with the animal and conduct active walks.
- From time to time after visiting the streets, clean the dog's hair with a soft brush. Wet wipes are an alternative. Often there is no need to bathe a pet. After water procedures immediately wrap the terrier with a towel, it can catch a cold.
- If the animal is completely healthy and eats properly, then you will not feel the smell of a dog from it. The advantage of the breed is that they have no undercoat. Molting in such dogs occurs twice a year. In the fall and spring, a special glove or brush should be used to collect wool from a pet.
- Keep in mind, the teeth of the animal must be monitored, especially during their shift. In the six months of age puppies often form a stone. It is for this reason that the teeth of the animal should be cleaned up to 3-4 times a week. If you can not cope with the task, consult your veterinarian.
- If the puppy will be properly formed dentition, then no problems arise. However, cleaning is still regularly carried out. Preventive procedures will not be superfluous. The rest of the care for a terrier is no different from other dogs. Do not forget to vaccinate and carry out prevention from worms.
- Consider, Japanese terriers possess charm and actively use it, manipulating people. Do not give in to provocations and do not treat your pet with human food. The problem is that various foods have a negative effect on the health of the dog.
- If you give your pet a sweet, his teeth will soon begin to deteriorate. Sugar also causes dogs to develop diabetes and blurred vision. In no case do not give the animal sausages, sweet biscuits and similar delicacies.
- Feed the dog is allowed only natural products. They must not contain artificial components. Do not forget that the pet must have a sufficient amount of meat in the diet. Also give boiled fish and offal.
- If you decide to feed the animal homemade food, then do not forget about cereal. They should be a quarter of the entire diet. It is allowed to add vegetables, greens and high-quality vegetable oil to porridge. In addition, systematically give your dog special vitamin complexes.
- Independently make a high-quality diet, the task is not for everyone. Therefore, if you do not want to engage in such, consider the option with ready-made premium feed. In this case, no additional vitamins will have to be given. The feed contains everything you need.
- It is worth knowing that the Japanese Terrier is suitable exclusively for keeping at home. Outside, even in a dog house, a dog cannot live.
- Provide your nook with soft bedding. Alternatively, a ready dog house is suitable.
- If you live in a private house, the pet is allowed to go for a walk in its own yard. A terrier should have its own bowls for food and water.
- Also highlight the animal toys. In the cold season, the dog will need warm clothes. The rest of the content does not cause any difficulties.
Dogs of this family look, to put it mildly, strange. The body is painted white, the head is black. But from this they become even more mysterious and original. Not only the appearance, but also temperament is considered surprising, we considered all aspects above.