Bags under the eyes are called edematous and saggy lower eyelids. No one is immune from this problem. As a rule, a person discovers them in the morning, when there is no time left to fight them. You have to go to work or an important meeting with a tired and neglected look. But sometimes bags under the eyes can be not just a temporary cosmetic defect, but also a signal of a serious illness.
Why bags under the eyes appear
Bags under the eyes appear just like any other swelling on the body. Human eyes are protected by a thin layer of fatty tissue. Under the influence of adverse factors, fluid accumulates there and edemas are formed. If swelling occurs regularly, the lower eyelid tissue is stretched, loses its elasticity and no longer takes on its usual shape. In this case, the bags under the eyes become permanent. In rare cases, excess fluid in the body can lead to swelling of the upper eyelids.
So, there are several circumstances that cause the appearance of bags under the eyes.
- Excess amount of salt in the body. It's no secret that salt prevents the removal of fluid from the body, as a result of which edema occurs. To avoid trouble, you should abandon the salty and spicy dishes for dinner. And if you still could not resist, then you do not need to drink food with plenty of water.
- Abuse of alcoholic beverages. After a stormy night feast the probability of waking up with bags under the eyes is very high, because alcohol, no less than salt, retains fluid in the body.
- Lack of sleep associated with depression and stress. A few sleepless nights will not affect the appearance of young people. But for people older than 40 years and one night without sleep can cause edema. An eight-hour night's sleep is necessary for human health and beauty.
- Not enough water drunk during the day. Oddly enough, this is a very common cause of edema, as the body, receiving less liquid, tries to accumulate it in reserve. A healthy person should drink at least 1.5 liters of water per day. This volume increases by another 1 liter in hot weather or during intense physical exertion.
- Eye strain. Long work at the computer, driving under poor visibility conditions and other strain on the eye muscles causes deterioration of the blood supply to the eyelids. As a result, the fluid more easily gets into the fat layer near the eyes and lingers there. For the same reason, tears lead to swelling before bedtime.
- Genetic predisposition. In this case, the bags under the eyes, characteristic of one of the parents, arise in the childhood of a person in the absence of visible causes and diseases.
- In women, the cause of edema may be the use of low-quality cosmetics or allergies to cosmetics for the eyes. Also, the likelihood of this trouble increases during the period of premenstrual syndrome.
If none of the above causes of swelling of the eyelids is present, and bags under the eyes appear regularly, you should immediately go to the doctor and be examined. It is possible that the fluid is retained in the body due to renal failure or another disease.
If a person has a serious degree of obesity, the bags under the eyes may not be associated with edema. In this case, their cause is a thickening of the fat layer in the area around the eyes.
How to get rid of bags under the eyes at home
Beauty salons offer a lot of expensive procedures for getting rid of bags under the eyes (using microcurrents and an infrared laser, a special eyelid skin scrub, etc.). However, traditional medicine advises no less effective, time-tested recipes.
- The most common way is to lubricate the skin under the eyes with ice cubes. Ice can be made from purified water or herbal infusion (chamomile, calendula, sage). This method is not suitable for people with closely spaced veins, as it can lead to bruising under the eyes. These people will help cool compresses on the area around the eyes.
- A gentle massage of the skin around the eyes also helps to reduce edema. Hold it with clean hands with soft circular movements in the direction from the nose to the ears. To strengthen and nourish the skin can be dripped on the fingers of olive or natural essential oil, diluted in water.
- Contrast eye baths are also considered a good remedy. This procedure will require 2 bowls of cold and warm water, a cotton swab or a piece of gauze. Alternately, wetting gauze in water should be applied to the eyes for 1 minute. After the procedure is better to wash with warm water.
- The express method of edema under the eyes, which does not require much time and preparatory action, is to apply metal spoons to the lower eyelids. It is better if they stay in the fridge for a few minutes before.
Masks and compresses from bags under the eyes
Practically all masks and compresses can be made permanently for prophylaxis, since they contain only natural ingredients that nourish and moisturize the skin around the eyes. All compresses on average do for 20 minutes, and then wash the face with warm water.
One of the most popular is the bread compress. To make it, a slice of black bread is dipped in an infusion of lemon balm and wrapped in gauze. The resulting lotion is applied to the eyes.
Do well with the swelling and slices of chilled potatoes (preferably young) or cucumber. In addition, boiled mashed potatoes in the form of heat is perfect for lotion during edema. Potatoes can be easily replaced with a pumpkin.
Milk compresses can be made from kefir, ryazhenka or sour cream mixed with parsley. Chopped parsley root, and in itself is an excellent lotion.
Traditional medicine also recommends a compress of fresh birch leaves. To do this, 5-7 leaves in the evening pour a glass of warm mineral water. In the morning lotion is ready for use. Copes with swelling and field horsetail as well. For lotions 1 tablespoon of horsetail pour a glass of boiling water and leave overnight.
If there is no time for making lotions for a compress, ordinary tea bags will come to the rescue. Moisten them with hot water, allow to cool slightly and apply to the places of edema.
The most effective masks for bags under the eyes:
- Honey mask. For its preparation mix 1 tablespoon of honey (if it is thick, then pre-melt) and flour with egg white. Thanks to the latter, the mask also has a pulling effect.
- In the evening you can make a buckwheat mask so that in the morning the bags under the eyes would not become an unpleasant surprise for you. Buckwheat is heated in a frying pan without oil, and then crushed using a coffee grinder. The resulting powder is diluted with water to the consistency of a thick cream and applied to the skin around the eyes. After 15-20 minutes - wash off with water.
- Fruit masks are very popular. Components for them can be any fruits or berries according to the season. Apples and strawberries are best. The fruit which is ground in pulp should be cooled beforehand in the refrigerator. Apply this mask can be on the lower and upper eyelid.
- Well proven and mask with oatmeal. To prepare it will require 2 tablespoons of oatmeal and 50 ml of warm milk. The flakes are poured with milk and allowed to swell for several minutes. After that, they are rubbed with a fork and the resulting gruel smear on the skin of the eyelids for 15 minutes. Wash off the mask with hot water.
- At bedtime, to prevent edema, make a mask by mixing cucumber, pumpkin and honey in equal proportions. Rub the ingredients into the mush and apply on the lower eyelids for about 20 minutes.
Exercises from bags under the eyes
Tightened skin of the lower eyelids quickly returns to its usual shape after fluid accumulation in adipose tissue, so exercises for the eyes are very important. Blink 20 seconds for warm-up and rotate your eyes up and down.
Exercise first. Can be performed immediately with two eyes. Place your thumb on the outer edge of the eye, and the index finger on the bridge of the nose. Spread the skin slightly with your fingers and start squinting, lifting the lower eyelid up. Exercise is done at least 20 times. In the next approach, we repeat the same thing, but at the same time the eyes look up.
Exercise the second. Take a comfortable posture and relax. You need to open your eyes wide and blink as soon as possible. Repeat 10 times for 3 sets.
Exercise the third. Look up, open your mouth, say the letter "O", and start blinking quickly for 15 seconds. Repeat the exercise 2 times.
Exercise Four. Place your index finger on the lower eyelid, look up, open your mouth in the same way as in the previous exercise and start blinking. On 10 accounts you blink with your mouth open and on 10 - with closed.
After a set of exercises, let your eyes rest: slowly move your gaze left-right 5 times, then as much downwards. Rub your palms together and place them on closed eyes. Relax and think about something good.
To achieve the visible effect of such exercises should be done regularly, that is, at least 3 times a week. If you need emergency help, the first and last exercises are especially suitable.
So that in the future you will not be tormented by the question of how to get rid of bags under the eyes, it is better to follow the rules that will not allow them to appear.
- Become a supporter of a healthy lifestyle. It involves not only playing sports and giving up bad habits, but also a balanced diet. Avoid fast food, too spicy and salty foods. From alcoholic beverages, choose brandy or red wine. But these drinks, drunk in large quantities, can harm your appearance.
- Full night sleep should be a habit. Sleep is better to go to bed at 10-11 pm, then in the morning you will get up rested and full of energy. In this case, the best position is considered to be sleeping on the back when the head is above the level of the body. The fact is that after spending the whole night on your side or abdomen, you contribute to the accumulation of fluid in the face. Sometimes swelling can appear only under one eye, depending on which side you spent the night on.
- Avoid eye injury. Even intense rubbing of the eyes after sleep can injure the delicate skin of the eyelids.
- Keep track of the amount of fluid you drink during the day. At the same time try to use more liquid in the morning and daytime, in the evening there is enough 1 glass of water.
- Use good makeup for the eyes. Saving on it, you later have to spend much more money on restorative cosmetic procedures. Never go to bed without first washing the makeup from the eyes. Do not forget to strengthen the skin of the eyelids with special creams. Rub them with light massage movements.
- Use sunscreen and do not neglect sunglasses. Ultraviolet in large quantities affects the properties of the skin. The tender skin of the eyelids under its influence loses its elasticity, and the swelling becomes more visible.
So, bags under the eyes can spoil the appearance and mood of a person in the morning. Observing simple rules, this ailment is much easier to prevent than to treat later. But if this problem still has not bypassed you, do not rush to spend money on expensive cosmetologists. Home remedies and exercise complexes may be no less effective.
It is important to remember that if, despite the preventive measures, bags under the eyes appear regularly, do not delay with self-treatment. Perhaps they serve as a signal of the presence of a serious disease that only a qualified doctor can recognize. In this case, the treatment of edema under the eyes will begin with getting rid of the underlying disease.