A beautiful, well-kept aquarium with healthy inhabitants is the goal of any aquarist. However, sometimes uninvited guests settle in the small underwater world, from whom it is not easy to get rid of. One of the most enduring algae, which spoils the appearance of plants and the bottom - is a black beard.
What is black beard
Blackbeard - a weed algae that covers the leaves and trunks of underwater plants, stones and other objects in the aquarium. Blackbeard grows in aquariums, where water is rarely changed, this plant covers even the walls of the tank. Blackbeard is the thinnest plexus of black and dark green villi that envelop everything around like fluff.
Why does a black beard appear in an aquarium?
Blackbeard can live in any aquarium, but it progresses in growth and development only with a lack of proper care. Blackbeard can grow in the wrong light, with a lack of oxygen, as well as if you are overfeeding fish. Here are some of the main reasons why black moss can live in your tank.
- If you rarely wash an aquarium and almost do not change the water in it, you can confidently expect the appearance of a black beard in your possessions. If you decide to start a fish - pay more attention to your pets and their home.
- Blackbeard can get to your aquarium with new underwater plants. If you bought a plant, you need to lower it into the aquarium and move it from side to side. If the plant is infected with a black beard, small black hairs will visibly sway. You can not make such a plant in a healthy environment. The same applies to decorative elements, kryag.
- If you have not changed fluorescent lamps for a long time, their light gradually loses brightness. Such dim lighting is a breeding ground for a black beard.
- If you give fish a lot of food - the remnants of this food can be the cause and growth of algae in aquariums. Some fish feed on a black beard, but will not do so if you feed them with a more attractive meal.
- If you have too many fish in an aquarium, some of them need to be removed. Fish are sources of nitrates and phosphates, which stimulate the development of a black beard.
What harm does a black beard aquarium
This alga does not cause any harm to the fish living in the aquarium. However, black beard harms plants, especially slow-growing plants. This weed envelops the grass, and to remove the alga, you have to throw out the plant completely or most of it.
The main reason many aquarists struggle with a black beard is the aesthetic side of the issue. After all, who wants to see nasty growths that look like mold in the well-kept underwater world?
How to get rid of black algae in the aquarium
Blackbeard is a rather unpleasant phenomenon only because it is difficult to get rid of it. It is simply unreal to mechanically clean the plants and stones - anyway, after a while the beard will grow again. But you can remove this algae using chemical composition. Here are some effective and safe ways to get rid of this weed.
- Black beard with pleasure eat some kinds of fish. For example, Siamese seaweed, antsitrus and even a simple catfish. These representatives of the fish world can be hooked up already in an overgrown aquarium. However, in order for the fish to get hungry and not abandon the algae, they need to stop feeding for a while. Just a week on starvation - and the fish will eat all the unwanted black hair and clean the aquarium.
- With a black beard you can cope with simple antiseptics. However, this is quite a troublesome thing, because in order for plants and fish not to be damaged, they need to be resettled in temporary housing. A few tablets of furatsilina or furazolidone must be dissolved in aquarium water and left for several days. After that, the water can return the inhabitants. If the water after the tablets turns yellow - do not worry, after a while it will pass.
- As a harmless antiseptic, you can use special solutions sold in pet stores. Such special tools for the aquarium are struggling with the growth of unwanted algae, prevent flowering and sweating of water in the aquarium. The walls remain clean and transparent for a long time, and the water is fresh.
- If the aquarium is running, remember that the water in it should be changed as often as possible. This can be done at least every day. Fresh water that you pour into the aquarium should be purified and ionized. It is best to use special filters that provide the level of alkali and water hardness necessary for fish.
- Plants can cope with a black beard. It is necessary to plant aquarium herbs with long stems. Particularly well relieves aquarium from black beard rogolnik, valisneriya, Rotala Indian and nayas. This is a kind of orderlies aquarium, which prevent the growth of silt and moss.
- Enhance the growth of green plants and get rid of algae will help special fertilizers. Pay attention to the fact that manganese and iron should prevail in their composition. These are the best substances against black villi, which are at the same time beneficial to higher aquatic plants.
- You can shave the ford in one fell swoop with the following procedure. Dilute 3% acetic solution in a small container. Then remove the beard-affected plants from the tank and, holding them by the root, dip them into the vinegar water. The root system can not be immersed in the solution. Then rinse the plant right in the aquarium and plant it back. Acetic water perfectly exterminates dark villi and is completely safe for fish and the plants themselves. You can use apple cider vinegar.
- Fans of aquarium fish share another proven way to get rid of this scourge. Moreover, this method is one of the most simple and trouble-free, because you do not need to set down and move anyone away - neither fish nor plants. You need to take a small battery and from its two contacts to hold the copper wires. Two ends to lower in the aquarium and leave for a few days. Microcurrents will kill algae without a chance for survival. But the fish and plants will remain safe.
- If none of these methods suits you, go to extreme measures. Remove all fish and all plants. Free the aquarium from water. All stones, sticks and decorative items should be thoroughly washed, dried and put in the microwave for 5 minutes to disinfect. It is also good to wash the walls of the aquarium. After that, they need to rinse with potassium permanganate or boric acid. After this procedure, rinse and fill the aquarium with clean water, lay the stones. Plants before planting should be carefully inspected and cleaned with cotton pads. It is better not to move the completely affected processes. If the plant is expensive, you can tear off a leaf from it for planting.
You already know why a black beard can arise and how to cope with it. However, to prevent its reappearance, the following preventive measures should be observed.
- Hygiene aquarium - above all! It is necessary to periodically clean the container and change the water.
- If the black beard grows in spite of frequent water changes - reduce the circulation of water. Increased circulation gives algae additional food.
- Do not overfeed fish. They should eat all the food in 3 minutes. If this does not happen, then the portion is large.
- Immediately remove the remains of dead plants.
- The number of inhabitants of the aquarium should be limited.
With a successful fight with a black beard, it will gradually begin to lighten and fall off from the plants. If you notice the initial manifestations of the vital activity of this seaweed - you can not hesitate. It is necessary to take measures immediately, until this weed has grown and no major decisions have been taken. The purity and beauty of the aquarium, as well as the health of its inhabitants in your hands. After all, what could be more beautiful than the magical underwater world, looking at which you can enjoy the pacification and calmness of its inhabitants.