Hot foot baths are one of the most effective home treatments for colds. Foot baths soothe, heal, produce a powerful preventive effect. In this article, you will learn how hot foot baths act on our body, how to properly soak your feet with a cold, and also find out who the foot baths are contraindicated for.
The benefits of hot foot baths
Why did grandmothers teach us to warm our feet in case of a cold? How steaming the feet affects the general well-being of a person - let's try to figure it out.
- On our feet there is a huge number of active points that affect our health. Therefore, at the first signs of a cold, the bath can stop the disease, which will not even have time to begin. Especially effective are hot baths at the beginning of the disease - for example, if you are exposed to rain and chilled.
- The blood vessels in the legs are closely related to the entire body. Warming up the legs, we warm the body completely. Therefore, during hot baths a person sweats a lot.
- The onset of a cold is often accompanied by swelling of the mucous membranes, nasal congestion, redness of the throat. Hot baths help to get rid of these symptoms because they contribute to the outflow of blood to the legs.
- Foot baths increase blood circulation, which is so necessary during illness. Active blood circulation is an enhancement of the work of immune cells.
- Hot foot baths are an excellent remedy for snot and other respiratory diseases.
- Hot foot baths are often used in the treatment of residual and prolonged cough. Warming up the legs helps to dilute and sputum from the lungs.
In addition, hot baths are so safe, unlike many medicines, that parents increasingly prefer this undeservedly forgotten treatment method.
How to soar feet with a cold
You need to understand that you will get the biggest effect if you hover your legs before bedtime. Therefore, plan the procedure for the evening.
- First you need to decide what we will do the bath. The most popular option is the mustard bath. Mustard itself is very useful because it irritates the skin and increases blood circulation. And along with hot water has an invaluable effect. However, allergy sufferers may have a reaction to mustard in the form of a cough or a skin rash. Therefore, for hot baths, you can use a variety of essential oils - they are also very useful.
- For heating, you can use the pelvis, and best of all stock up on a bucket. After all, in it you can warm up not only the feet, but also the calf muscles. If you make a bath for a child, put your feet in the water with him so that he is not afraid of the procedure. At the bottom of the tank you can put a rough sponge - it will further stimulate the foot.
- First, the feet should be placed in the water at a comfortable temperature, especially if you are bathing a child. It is important not to scare the baby and present the procedure in the form of a game. First let the water be warm - 36 degrees.
- Gradually add hot water from the kettle to the basin. Before lowering the legs into the liquid again, stir the compound in order not to burn the feet.
- Gradually bring the water temperature to the maximum that you can tolerate. Usually it is 45-50 degrees. The legs should be red and hot. There should be steam on the forehead.
- The child needs to make a hot bath no longer than 10 minutes, an adult can keep his feet warm for about 20 minutes.
- After the bath, you need to rinse your feet in clean, warm water, carefully wipe them and put wool socks on bare feet. Nothing, that the sensations will be a little prickly - this is an additional effect on the active points of the foot.
- After the bath you need to lie under a blanket and drink something warming. A glass of vodka with pepper is a great solution against the cold that has begun. Children can be offered a cup of raspberry tea - raspberries will help to sweat. After such manipulations, you need to lie under a blanket and do not lean out until the morning.
This is one of the best ways to get rid of a cold quickly, cheaply and safely.
Who should not do hot baths
Despite the usefulness of the procedure, the bath can not do everything. The first contraindication is high body temperature. If during a cold the temperature has risen above 37 degrees, it is out of the question about a bath. It can expand blood vessels and aggravate the situation. Make a footbath later when the condition stabilizes.
You can not soar legs and pregnant women. The fact is that hot water stimulates the rush of blood to the legs. In such a situation, the placenta suffers - blood drains from it, and the child in the womb loses nutrition. This can lead to the risk of miscarriage or premature birth.
When frostbite legs soar too. Extreme temperatures may damage blood vessels. With diabetes and varicose veins, soaring legs is also not recommended. If you have any chronic diseases, you must first consult with your doctor about the intention to hover legs.
What else to make a hot bath
If the traditional method of treatment (mustard) does not suit you, you can make baths with other components.
- If you take a bath with a decoction of mint or eucalyptus essential oil and actively inhale the vapors during the procedure, this will allow you to get rid of nasal congestion.
- Potato broth for a long time to keep the water hot and will warm your feet well.
- You can do for trays and decoctions of medicinal herbs. They will help not only in the fight against colds, but also get rid of many skin diseases. Calendula as part of a decoction disinfects wounds, will contribute to the treatment of fungus on the legs. Chamomile softens the rough skin of the feet. Hypericum will calm the legs and relieve swelling after a long day of work.
- Soda foot baths are also very helpful. Soda actively affects reflex points and makes a person sweat a lot. This helps to eliminate toxins, viruses and wastes from the body. In addition, soda eliminates fungus on the legs.
- Salt and iodine can be used to prepare the bath. For 5 liters of water you will need half a glass of salt and a teaspoon of iodine. This cocktail will warm your skin perfectly.
Foot hot baths can be done several times a day. It is best to do them at the very beginning of the disease at the onset of the first symptoms or after an acute period when there is no temperature.
Since ancient times, people have known that a hot foot bath cures diseases, relaxes, pacifies, disinfects the skin, eliminates the unpleasant smell of sweat. In modern times, powerful drugs and ointments, we want to be cured sooner - we do not have time for illness. However, this rush often leads to the fact that we throw a huge amount of pills into the body, even without having an accurate idea of their action. Do not rush to drink chemistry, help the body to recover on their own. And the hot foot bath in this business is the first assistant.